Bone conduction sound interaction

“We probably have been handed over the usual tape player and headphones while visiting museums and galleries but the Brühl’s Terrace in Dresden, Germany takes a big step in providing interactive exhibits.”

“People just need to rest their elbows on the railing and cup their ears to be transported back to the night of the terrible air raid on 13th February 1945, using technology called “touched echo”. While leaning on to the balustrade the sound of airplanes and explosions is transmitted from the swinging balustrade through their arm directly into into the inner ear (bone conduction).”

Pretty cool, could see this technology being used for information kiosks, retail stores, etc.
Check it out HERE

been done for years, my 2ners in the early 90’s used bone conducton for bass enhancement…

I know the technology has been around, but I don’t see it in very many day to day interactions I come in contact with. The possibility of seeing the technology utilized in new ways is what I like about it.

That bone conduction public art in Dresden is called Touched Echo, by Markus Kison.
http://www.markuskison.de/#touched_echo
It is my all-time favorite artwork because it effectively transports people back in time to the Allied bombings of Dresden with an interactive experience of history in a public plaza overlooking the city. The sounds of attacking aircraft and explosions are transmitted via bone conduction to visitors’ ears only if they rest their elbows on a railing and cover their ears in a hunched over pose, reminiscent of a duck and cover posture. It is interactive and site specific in a meaningful and emotionally compelling way! There are no text instructions nor interpretive signage; Kison’s installation is nearly invisible except for small brass plates engraved with the date of the bombing, an icon of a person covering their ears and an audio volume symbol.

Yes indeed…a very nice installation and application of bone-conducting sound.

Here’s a product derived from the same principle…