Research request regarding design knowledge management

My name is Moushumi Sharmin and I am a doctoral student in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Illinois working with Prof. Brian Bailey. My research focuses on designing interactive systems that assist designers in managing and reusing design knowledge.

As the first step in my dissertation project, I want to better understand how designers store, retrieve, reuse, and share design artifacts and related information. I am particularly interested in the domains of graphic, web, product, and interaction design.

As part of my research, I am working on a survey to gain insight about how professional designers manage their design artifacts and related information. This survey is formally approved by the University of Illinois Institutional Review Board.

The survey would not take more than 15~20 minutes and as a token you will receive a $10 coupon. I am confident that your experience as a designer would provide valuable insights for my research project.

The link for the survey is:

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s/53511/understanding-the-lifecycle-of-design-knowledge

Please feel free to contact me if you need any further information.

Thanks

Moushumi Sharmin
PhD Candidate
Department of Computer Science
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

If “Design Artifact” was a bit to ambiguous for you as it was for me:

“For this survey, we use the term “artifact” to refer to any physical or digital information source (e.g., sketch, prototype, Web page, photo, or document) that is created, collected, or used during the design process.”

Thanks for the comment. As we are communicating to a broad range of design domains, I just wanted to provide some example of what “design artifacts” may refer to.

Thanks.