Enter Button Standard

interesting, these conversations take place all over the world on practically all types of devices. Also, interstingly, comments so far mirror what I’ve heard and read over and over again.

There are almost no certified standards (i.e. ISO) for button legends, the 1/0 digital on/off being an exception. There are commonly used legends that have become standard: forward, back, fast forward, etc. There are lots for electrical and hazard warning icons.

Every icon has element of misunderstanding. Your statement: “I know there are thousands of IEC icon standards but they seem dated and un-designed.” is improperly leading you, a designer, into designing ambiguity.

From many projects and research, as general guidelines to first try to solve these seemingly simple yet complex UI issues, what I’ve learned includes:

1. Seriously consider using words. Fact is simple, common English words (enter, exit, start, menu, etc.) are almost universally understood and accepted. I have received this advice from Japanese, German and Danish product managers, as well as read it in several information design publications.

2. Use single level meaning: a word, an icon, a colour, size or shape, location.

3. Every icon is ambiguous to somebody. Chances are a similar designed icon is used elswhere to mean something else.