Close

Re: Dyson Supersonic

Postby slippyfish » May 3rd, 2016, 11:08 am

slippyfish
full self-realization
full self-realization

bepster wrote:But then I see it in my local housewares store and am frankly mortified by the molding and overall built quality.

The visible mold flow knit lines due to using that crazy metal flake-infused plastic is what has dragged down some of their earlier vacuum products. There's an overall plasticky feeling to the products too, but as long as they work and I can get replacement filters I'll be a repeat customer.
“Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy."

http://www.superformer.com
http://www.coroflot.com/skhid

Postby yo » May 3rd, 2016, 11:19 am

yo
Administration
Administration

we are a Miele family over here. My wife couldn't get past the buck rogers feel of the Dysons. The Miele's just feel more tasteful.... that and the ratings on their HEPA filters sold Kristina.

Postby Mr-914 » May 3rd, 2016, 11:44 am

Mr-914

I have a Kenmore branded Panasonic. I find it pretty good.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby FH13 » May 3rd, 2016, 2:11 pm

FH13
step four
step four

Yeah, I spent a fairly good amount of time researching "the best vacuum". After reading countless reviews and watching comparison videos I got tired and just went to Best Buy and got a hoover or eureka for $130 or less. I got tired of all the "this is good for floors but not carpet" or "good for low pile carpet but not for shaggy carpet", "this one can pick up rocks but not fine dust or vise versa", etc.
Sharks got really good reviews but felt like plastic toys. I liked the look of Electrolux vacuums but didn't want to go by looks only.
So far so good.

Postby KenoLeon » May 3rd, 2016, 4:08 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Don't know bout $400 hairdryers, but I have a Dyson DC35, my experience as a consumer is that:

a) It works ok and is more practical (being cordless,handheld) than my previous vacuum ( a mecha yellow eureka)
b) it's quirky, very quirky.

As a designer I am left scratching my head, it is overly engineered in some parts ( the plastic is riot shield grade), the packaging and installation was simple, clean, I like the design, yet it blatantly says f**k the user in others, this last point is evident when emptying the thing, here's a depiction:

DearDyson.jpg
Twig not included
DearDyson.jpg (35.64 KiB) Viewed 5369 times

So the manual says that you should not fill it over the line( the first one from bottom to top) , which holds very little, yet it allows you to do so, ( an affordability) plus are you really looking at that line ? while vacuuming? , anyways, when you inevitably fail to do so, all those little holes get filled up with gunk and in order to dislodge them, you have to reach in with a twig, a bloody twig, I even have a special twig in the kitchen just for this purpose, I researched online ( maybe I was doing something wrong), and no, other folks have their special twigs, madness.

On the plus side I had a spider in the bathroom spawn hundreds of little spiders, this thing took care of that business in no time, you even get to see them die as they spin to death while you laugh maniacally, so yeah, good product with room for improvement and questionable design choices.
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Postby Mr-914 » May 4th, 2016, 6:40 am

Mr-914

Keno: My vacuum has a similar holey plastic cylinder inside. Doesn't the Dyson come apart so that you can rinse it out in the sink?
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby KenoLeon » May 4th, 2016, 11:25 am

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

You can disassemble it more, something of a hidden feature that I learned after the 1st year of using it on an amazon review out of all places, I don't think you can rinse it since it has some electrical contacts, so you bang the thing hoping the little holes dislodge themselves while creating a dust cloud.
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Postby Mr-914 » May 4th, 2016, 1:30 pm

Mr-914

That seems poorly thought out. My Kenmore completely disassembles, but it's a proper canister vacuum not a hand held.
Ray Jepson

Postby rkuchinsky » May 5th, 2016, 7:33 pm

rkuchinsky

Never saw/thought about the holes in the dyson vac. My biggest issue is you have to hold the trigger down to make it work. Gives you trigger finger after 5min (it's not light!). And the button is huge and square so causes major finger pressure issues. I don't know how a person with smaller fingers could use it for more than 3 min without discomfort!

And yep. Looks stupid.

R
The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

Postby mas » October 11th, 2016, 7:02 pm

mas
step one
step one

This guy does a product teardown of the Supersonic. Pretty funny but a bit rude and contains lots of swearing.

NSFW (wear headphones)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-vJxez9UF8

Postby IDiot » October 12th, 2016, 9:40 am

IDiot
full self-realization
full self-realization

slippyfish wrote:
bepster wrote:But then I see it in my local housewares store and am frankly mortified by the molding and overall built quality.

The visible mold flow knit lines due to using that crazy metal flake-infused plastic is what has dragged down some of their earlier vacuum products. There's an overall plasticky feeling to the products too, but as long as they work and I can get replacement filters I'll be a repeat customer.

They even put a marketing spin on the mold flow lines. I used to carry one of these chips around with me and when marketing people wanted to try to mold metallic plastics I would ask if they were ready to do something like this?

Postby Generatewhatsnext » October 12th, 2016, 12:12 pm

Generatewhatsnext
step four
step four

We have a whole-house central vac system which didn't seem all that appealing when we bought the house but quickly earned its value - all the dust, pollen and particles travel to a big basement canister and the resulting exhaust air travels outside through a vent at the back of the house. I empty the canister about once a year...it's got super-suction and lots of accessories. With regular vacs, anything the vac doesn't filter out leaves with the exhaust air - back into your house.

That said, a friend at Hoover sent me two Air Steerable HEPA Upright Windtunnel vacs about 3 years ago, we keep one upstairs and one downstairs - they are as effective as the Dyson DC35 Animal we had for a decade before, just as "plasticky" but easier to keep clean...and I think the retail on them is only $200.
Scott Snider
Partner, Product Development
Generator, inc.
http://www.generatewhatsnext.com
http://www.twitter.com/generatewhtsnxt
http://www.linkedin.com/company/1023934

Postby Mr-914 » October 12th, 2016, 2:32 pm

Mr-914

I just want to +1 that product tear down. I love how the guy makes mistakes, but will correct himself as he goes on. It's also a great display of how to get some basic product specs using household tools and products.
Ray Jepson

Postby yo » October 14th, 2016, 12:01 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

liquid steel, that is a good one! I'm sure they are laughing all the way to the bank on that little gem.

Previous

Return to consumer products