Close

Dyson Supersonic

Postby 51 » April 28th, 2016, 7:02 am

step three
step three

Dyson design and technology move into haircare. From $399.99!!
http://www.dyson.com/haircare/supersonic.aspx

Re: Dyson Supersonic

Postby Jboogie941 » April 28th, 2016, 8:46 am

Jboogie941
step four
step four

Makes sense, pretty clean ass design also.... That price tho??? :lol:

Postby mcpbowman » April 29th, 2016, 6:55 am

mcpbowman
step two
step two

One of the guys I went to University with works there and was very excited about this launch.
I like the idea of a silent hair dryer so I can actually hear the TV/music while the other half gets ready :P

I'm not majorly sold on the design though...its clean, but I just feel like its missing something - it does look more balanced when the attachment is put on I guess, but that price tag is insane!

Postby yo » April 29th, 2016, 11:37 am

yo
Administration
Administration

2 primitive forms that intersect with a couple of chamfers. What did the designer do for the rest of the day after this CAD was done at 10am? :-)

I always feel like their products give that "hey, thats neat" but I never feel like they solve a problem I actually have, certainly not at the level where the premium they ask for would be a value proposition I would buy into.

Postby slippyfish » April 29th, 2016, 6:03 pm

slippyfish
full self-realization
full self-realization

I'm guessing that the super-short barrel obviates the need for any angle on the handle, or other ergonomic-related form development. Body care stuff seems like it should have some formal relationship to how its used. (Gillette Sensor women's razor for one example).
“Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy."

http://www.superformer.com
http://www.coroflot.com/skhid

Postby rkuchinsky » April 29th, 2016, 11:50 pm

rkuchinsky

If I had hair, I'd buy it. I like the simplicity and that the tech speaks for itself. Restrained for a dyson product. Their vacuums are ugly as sin (but work). Nicest hair dryer on the market, easily I'd say. Happy to be proven wrong, but most are all wavy and over older "ergo" grip nonsense.

T
The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

Postby Mr-914 » May 2nd, 2016, 6:58 am

Mr-914

I can't help but think of Braun. They've had some nice ones over the years.

Not shown below, but I had a Braun that reminds me of the Dyson. It drew the air in through the handle too, with an axial fan even! It didn't have a huge air flow though.

Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby yo » May 2nd, 2016, 9:22 am

yo
Administration
Administration

Richard is right though, most likely the best option on the market. For some reason most of them are just terrible looking. I smell a design challenge.

Postby Mr-914 » May 2nd, 2016, 10:28 am

Mr-914

There is a reason they sell for $30 at Wal-mart. It's a commodity item. All of them have the same design brief: create a really cheap envelope around these components.

I guess there are enough people looking for anything nice that they will drop $400 on one instead of $30 every year. More power to them.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby slippyfish » May 2nd, 2016, 1:17 pm

slippyfish
full self-realization
full self-realization

That Braun model at lower left is much nicer. Nothing visually obtrusive. Power cords were challenging in those days I bet.
“Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy."

http://www.superformer.com
http://www.coroflot.com/skhid

Postby FH13 » May 2nd, 2016, 5:21 pm

FH13
step four
step four

I guess a lot of the cost is in the re-engineering of the internal components and impeller...there's a science behind it, selecting the right motor/impeller design.
I love the look. I don't think it would sell for that price looking similar to the rest. Also, a cylindrical handle is perfect for the use since most people hold it in many different ways to reach different parts of their head, kind of like electric toothbrushes. Maybe it could be designed "more ergonomic" if it was for a professional hair dresser that is standing and drying someone's hair able to walk around the person rather than twisting their wrist to reach different areas.
$400 is a lot but hey, if you use it everyday to make you look good I think people would spend it. Also if it works better and is less noisy then it would be a big plus. Heck if it is quieter I would buy it for my wife. I wonder if it's a coincidence they released it a week before mothers day?

Postby Mr-914 » May 3rd, 2016, 6:43 am

Mr-914

I think the reason I have a knee jerk negative reaction to Dyson products is jealousy. I pitch stuff that is way more sensible than these products and get shot down. I think I'd be fired if I pitched ideas as left field as theirs!
Ray Jepson

Postby bepster » May 3rd, 2016, 9:19 am

bepster
full self-realization
full self-realization

yo wrote:I smell a design challenge.

That's a great idea. I'd pitch in... :D

Generally, I have been pretty impressed by the tech and the signature form philosophy from Dyson.
Especially when I see their hyper-stylized product presentation.

But then I see it in my local housewares store and am frankly mortified by the molding and overall built quality.

Haven't seen this in the flesh, so I don't know how this one stacks up but considering it's a handheld product, hopefully it looks and feels as nice as it does in these heavy PS renders.

Postby yo » May 3rd, 2016, 10:54 am

yo
Administration
Administration

I posted an idea in the doodling forum :-) I'll set up a separate little thread for it.

Postby yo » May 3rd, 2016, 11:03 am

yo
Administration
Administration

OK, all set up, sketch away: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=33922

Go to the Next Page

Return to consumer products