Close

Industrial Design wanted: Inquire Within.

Postby KenoLeon » August 24th, 2015, 11:18 pm

KenoLeon
step four
step four

Every now and then I bump into products and situations that could perhaps be better designed, here's one of them:

IMG_20150824_193900043.jpg
Sign keeps getting bigger : )

A little background:

This is at my local Trader Joes ( a grocery store) which gracefully provides coffee while you shop, they changed their carafes from this:

13041.0001_2_5L_Push_Button_Airpot_1.jpg
13041.0001_2_5L_Push_Button_Airpot_1.jpg (59.28 KiB) Viewed 3343 times

So I asked what was wrong with the original one, and they told me that people on wheel chairs had a hard time reaching them, they sit in a counter about 3 feet tall (note: see down the thread for more, I originally estimated 4ft) , and I imagine when pushed to dispense they tilted and landed on the wheelchair since the force was coming from below, that problem seems to have been solved by the new one, but a new problem is that now folks can't figure out that you have to place the cup on the dot, so there's a lot of spillage, even with the sign.

Seems like a good student project : )
Last edited by KenoLeon on August 25th, 2015, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"We are surrounded with objects of desire, not objects of use.” Don Norman

Re: Industrial Design wanted: Inquire Within.

Postby CRVaughan » August 25th, 2015, 10:58 am

CRVaughan
step two
step two

Ouch, not a fun experience for the person in the wheelchair, I imagine.

At 4 feet high, I wonder if they can even see the "white dot" referred to?

Postby KenoLeon » August 25th, 2015, 12:11 pm

KenoLeon
step four
step four

Reflecting about it with tape measure in hand it was more like 3 feet to the top of the table, 3 inches more to the dispensing level on the current setting (the top one) and something like an extra foot to the top of the old one ( so yeah not fun if you are on a wheelchair).

To clarify, the current setup ( the top one with the elusive white dot) seems to work fine for people on wheelchairs, it is the rest that seems to be having a hard time placing the cups on the dot.

-K
Eugenio (Keno) Leon

Postby KenoLeon » September 3rd, 2015, 12:05 pm

KenoLeon
step four
step four

The saga continues, the struggle is real :D

Bigger-Redder.jpg
Bigger, and make it red, that should do it : )
Bigger-Redder.jpg (129.95 KiB) Viewed 3015 times

I would also like to thank Rain Noe for picking my musings for the front page where a spirited discussion ensued :

http://www.core77.com/posts/40319/A-Des ... is-Product

My current diagnostic is as follows: ( I should note that I spilled half a cup yesterday unintentionally).

1. Grocery shoppers are mostly in an absentminded state while shopping for groceries and surrounded by signs competing for attention, this is a contributing factor, the sign might as well say " Free punch in the nuts when you press this lever" and I bet people would ignore it.

2. It seems more natural to place the cup underneath the spout and press the lever,thus missing the cup altogether. I watched 2 people (besides me) do exactly that while ignoring the sign literally staring at them in the eye.

I will update and bring our research to the attention of TJ's next time I run out of granola.

-K
Eugenio (Keno) Leon

Return to consumer products