Close

Re: GE Artistry Series

Postby iab » July 18th, 2013, 8:03 am


iab
full self-realization
full self-realization
 
Posts: 2495
Joined: January 5th, 2004, 6:03 pm
Almost ANYTHING sells?

I can’t imagine a larger load of crap than that.

Objectively, more businesses fail than succeed. Large multi-national corporations with every available resource fail continuously. If it were so damn easy, I imagine everyone on these boards is typing from their villa on Lake Como after having cocktails with Clooney.

I don’t know about anyone else here, but for me, fulfilling the customer’s needs is honest design. I will even go as far as to say that it is good design. Great design is fulfilling the customer’s unknown needs.

So someone tell me, why exactly is nostalgia not a legitimate need? People base their future experience on their past experience. Branding is dependent on that simple fact.

As for “authentic” design. Great. But to think it is the only “relevant” design is incorrect.

Re: GE Artistry Series

Postby NURB » July 18th, 2013, 10:18 am

User avatar

NURB
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4669
Joined: November 10th, 2005, 1:31 pm
Location: MPLS
Hey someone bought those Pontiac Aztek's...

You are exactly right about good and great design, though.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Re: GE Artistry Series

Postby mirk » July 18th, 2013, 10:26 am

User avatar

mirk
step four
step four
 
Posts: 244
Joined: March 1st, 2012, 12:59 pm
Location: London
iab wrote:So someone tell me, why exactly is nostalgia not a legitimate need? People base their future experience on their past experience. Branding is dependent on that simple fact.


Does the target age group really have nostalgia for this type of styling though?

Make it Mario Kart themed, you'll sell 3 times as many.
Mike Coyle

Tonik Sound

Re: GE Artistry Series

Postby no_spec » July 18th, 2013, 10:48 am


no_spec
full self-realization
full self-realization
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: February 22nd, 2006, 1:36 pm
good point mirk, that's why I think the millennial thing is just marketing spin.
unless, simplicity and retro are the same thing? think Braun's 60's minimalism or Apples 70's minimalism...

Re: GE Artistry Series

Postby Traftos » July 18th, 2013, 11:10 am


Traftos
step two
step two
 
Posts: 80
Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 6:40 pm
Nostalgia is the wrong term to try to connect with the millennials, if that is who they are going after. Nostalgia brings up memories of past experiences, millenials are too young by about 30 years to have such memories of this design language. However, I do think that they have an appreciation for such design language, to which I think they will understand the intent.

From my point of view, and has been said already, I think this appliance line offers a different/better option than is what is currently being put by the boatloads into new apartment complexes, and I think millenials will appreciate the difference.

Re: GE Artistry Series

Postby iab » July 18th, 2013, 11:23 am


iab
full self-realization
full self-realization
 
Posts: 2495
Joined: January 5th, 2004, 6:03 pm
I don't know if nostalgia will work on millennials. GE is gambling it will. Time will tell. Welcome to the uncertainty of NPD.



btw, there's this thing called the internet. On it, you can see images and read about things that happened prior to your lifetime. Before the internet, we had these things called books.

Re: GE Artistry Series

Postby Traftos » July 18th, 2013, 12:50 pm


Traftos
step two
step two
 
Posts: 80
Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 6:40 pm
iab wrote:btw, there's this thing called the internet. On it, you can see images and read about things that happened prior to your lifetime. Before the internet, we had these things called books.


Aw snap, gettin' sassy. Here, let me help you get that stick out of your ass.

Millenials can certainly have an appreciation for mid century design, having real nostalgia? I think not.

FYE: http://bit.ly/151ZYd3

Re: GE Artistry Series

Postby iab » July 18th, 2013, 1:59 pm


iab
full self-realization
full self-realization
 
Posts: 2495
Joined: January 5th, 2004, 6:03 pm
Kewl.

Millennials are brain-dead sheeple who have no admiration of the past.

Awesome.

Here's another clue, you don't actually have to live in an era to be nostalgic for it.

Re: GE Artistry Series

Postby mirk » July 18th, 2013, 3:16 pm

User avatar

mirk
step four
step four
 
Posts: 244
Joined: March 1st, 2012, 12:59 pm
Location: London
iab wrote:Kewl.

Millennials are brain-dead sheeple who have no admiration of the past.

Awesome.

Here's another clue, you don't actually have to live in an era to be nostalgic for it.

Ooh we're doing this now? Happy to play :D

Baby boomers are all pot smoking, acid dropping, hippies with no sense of reality. Why the hell would you distort your guitars? Listen to real music dammit!

Addressing what seems to be the point here:
Historical admiration and nostalgia are different (see the lmgtfy), I would argue that nostalgia is much more visceral, and therefore more likely to sell products.
For example, Lmo posted a combustion engine RC helicopter over in transportation, I thought it was incredibly cool. This was largely based on my interest in engineering and the fact that I can see how that technology is a clear predecessor of what's out today. Plus, tiny combustion engines are awesome! However, this type of appreciation takes a background that won't apply to most of the population.

iab, I'm assuming because of your rich admiration of the past, and your vast amount of reading and internet research that you would love a Victorian era styled kitchen. In fact, you should be nostalgic for it, or else you're a mindless sheeple.

Image
Mike Coyle

Tonik Sound

Re: GE Artistry Series

Postby Traftos » July 18th, 2013, 4:04 pm


Traftos
step two
step two
 
Posts: 80
Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 6:40 pm
mirk wrote:Historical admiration and nostalgia are different (see the lmgtfy), I would argue that nostalgia is much more visceral, and therefore more likely to sell products.


Precisely. I never was saying nostalgia doesn't have it place, it very much does, by definition it is not applicable here. Historical admiration on the other hand is applicable though.

Semantics....

Re: GE Artistry Series

Postby Mrog » July 18th, 2013, 5:42 pm


Mrog
step three
step three
 
Posts: 128
Joined: July 12th, 2013, 7:03 am
Location: Germany
iab wrote:Almost ANYTHING sells?

I can’t imagine a larger load of crap than that.



Yes. Not in the sense of "every single product out there sells". But more like "every single product has the potential to be sold if done right". Go to the very next 99-cent store and take a look around. Most of this stuff was never ever touched by a professional designer. Yet they crank out millions of the same kind somewhere in China and ship it all around the world right to your neighborhood. Because it sells. It really does. People don't ask themselves if they really need that awkwardly shaped toilet brush. They just buy it. And they also buy badly styled kitchen appliances if you sell it to them right. So "people buy it" is just no argument for a well made object.

I don’t know about anyone else here, but for me, fulfilling the customer’s needs is honest design. I will even go as far as to say that it is good design. Great design is fulfilling the customer’s unknown needs.


I agree.
Maybe even nostalgia is a need (I am not sure about that). But how is a superficially styled "retro shell" fulfilling that need exactely? Build a rock solid oven that lasts 40 years by using some old techniques and blueprints. I wouldn't even mind. But the GE-Stuff is simply not fulfilling that "need for nostalgia" (if we assume that exists). It is just lying about that to the user until it falls apart. That's the fundamental problem I have with this.

As for “authentic” design. Great. But to think it is the only “relevant” design is incorrect.


Ok, I challenge you: Show me a product that is still featured in one of those books about design and that is NOT authentic in it's own way. Something truly fake, superficial and rehashed that is still considered a "gamechanger" or at least "important" in its time.

Re: GE Artistry Series

Postby IDiot » July 18th, 2013, 9:56 pm

User avatar

IDiot
full self-realization
full self-realization
 
Posts: 1207
Joined: January 6th, 2004, 5:15 am
Location: theZoo
From my experience in the major appliance industry, I would say this series does a really nice job of offering a much nicer much cleaner aesthetic on the low end offering than is currently available and does so with very minimal investment as I am guessing virtually all the tooling and components are existing. These aren't all the finish or detail directions I would have made as the designer or asked for as the consumer, but this direction really cleans up the design of where this price point typically ends up. I assure you the designer in this case was VERY limited in scope of what was in and out of play, and I think just the simple removal of all the graphics and noise that would normally be shouting for attention was a battle in its self.

All that being said, is this really the type of product you make this video for, and tout design .... ?
If this is all GE has to talk about they're in trouble.

Re: GE Artistry Series

Postby iab » July 19th, 2013, 8:13 am


iab
full self-realization
full self-realization
 
Posts: 2495
Joined: January 5th, 2004, 6:03 pm
mirk wrote:Historical admiration and nostalgia are different (see the lmgtfy), I would argue that nostalgia is much more visceral, and therefore more likely to sell products.


Correct. And again, you do need to live in a particular era to be nostalgic for it. Or don't you understand the definition of typically?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rif

mirk wrote:iab, I'm assuming because of your rich admiration of the past, and your vast amount of reading and internet research that you would love a Victorian era styled kitchen. In fact, you should be nostalgic for it, or else you're a mindless sheeple.


http://lmgtfy.com/?q=strawman

Re: GE Artistry Series

Postby iab » July 19th, 2013, 8:20 am


iab
full self-realization
full self-realization
 
Posts: 2495
Joined: January 5th, 2004, 6:03 pm
Mrog wrote:But the GE-Stuff is simply not fulfilling that "need for nostalgia" (if we assume that exists). It is just lying about that to the user until it falls apart. That's the fundamental problem I have with this.
.



I get it now. The sez you argument. You win. My dick is obviously way too small.

Re: GE Artistry Series

Postby iab » July 19th, 2013, 8:22 am


iab
full self-realization
full self-realization
 
Posts: 2495
Joined: January 5th, 2004, 6:03 pm
btw, what was Clooney's mood today? I hear he gets pissed when his espresso is too bitter.

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to consumer products