Smartphone size and handbags

I read an article that women 18-30 are the biggest uptakers of new technology, but most tech companies are ignoring them at their peril (I cant find that article, but here’s something similar).

My wife’s phone contract is nearly up. She has an iPhone and likes it but loathes iTunes (“why can’t I f#$@ing drag and drop!!!” she says out loud to no one in particular- iTourettes). She is looking at Samsungs with bigger screens because she keeps her phone in her handbag, rather than in her pants pocket like me. A bigger phone has no drawbacks for her, whereas for me I wouldn’t be able to easily carry it…

Is this an example of design ‘evolution’ rather than design intent?

What I mean is the bigger screen size is driven by a reason (specification race - “we’ve got a bigger screen with more stuff”), which isn’t the reason why consumers buy it (I like smartphones with bigger screens because how I use the phone is more conducive to having a bigger screen).

Great observation. Who knows, maybe that is Samsung’s market strategy (attack the over-looked female market with giant phones).

I too carry my phone in my handbag, however, I would prefer a slim feminine phone as to a bulky one. So, not too sure…I could see the reasoning being that it is easier to look at the icons and navigate internet. Hmm, maybe I just need two phones :wink:

A bigger phone has no drawbacks for her, whereas for me I wouldn’t be able to easily carry it…

Try pants with bigger pockets. :wink:

… iTourettes …

ya killen’ me sanj :wink:

… maybe that is Samsung’s market strategy (attack the over-looked female market with giant phones).

Try looking at virtually any current phone screen through 60+ year old eyes; I realize it may take a while for you. :wink:

LMO: just use your iPad.

LMO: just use your iPad.

I’m not drinkin’ the apple juice… … until I absolutely have to.

This could be interesting.

Keyword being, could.

By the way, welcome to the boards Jordy.