Evolution of Home Video Game Consoles: 1967 – 2011

Quite interesting to see the design evolution. Surprised to see so many random ones even in the PS1/N64 era. A select few:

I think I still have the Intellivision, Turbo GrafX and Jaguar in my garage.

Too bad they don’t make RF Switch->HDMI adapters to make these things easy to hook up anymore.

My favorite of all time was this guy:

From a technology and engineering perspective it was kind of amazing, especially in 1990. 9 bit 512 color display, played the same games as the Turbo Graphics, could turn into a TV with an attachable TV tuner.

Technologically awesome…but an overpriced piece of garbage. I remember always staring at it inside it’s little glass case at the Electronics store for an unheard of $350.

Oh consumer electronics…how I miss thine glory days.

Whew! Bring back the wood grain electronics! Woo hoo!

I think i’ll go with a walnut veneer on my ps3

I love the name “Wonder Wizard”. That was one of those 1980’s catch words. Like “Electronic”.

Remember “Mr. Wizard”?

On topic…I left the following at my parents have 2-3 Atari 2600s, 1 Atari 7800, Sega Master System, Sega Master System II, Genesis, Master System to Genesis convertor, JVC XEye (Sega CD). I have just a lowly PSII today…I tossed my PSI.

I also had some kind of Parker Brothers portable game system. I can’t remember the name though:/

I actually had this 1977 version of “COMBAT”… it was a system that only played one game… it was a hand-me-down from an older cousin.

Whew! Bring back the wood grain electronics! Woo hoo!

Okay, here ya go … . .

Mattel Intellivison … 1979. KILLER 16-bit graphics! … for 1978. Multi-screen views.Great sound… B-17 Bomber and Armor Battle were great to play in a darkened room; … instrument panel to monitor, artificial horizon, maps to navigate, fighters, flak, great fun!

My wife hated it… . . :smiley:

Remember Mr. Wizard… !!! I raced home from school every day to catch the show… . .

Technically 4 bit graphics but a 16 bit processor. :slight_smile:

Technically 4 bit graphics but a 16 bit processor. > :slight_smile: >

Thanks for the correction .

My wife hated it just the same…