Scott Wilson's Apple Watch

for those that may have forgot one of Scott’s earlier Apple accessories

IDiot: Seriously?

914, it was a more socio-political satire on Apple or the iPod following.
Thought it was damn clever and funny at the time.

http://obamapacman.com/2010/03/ibelieve-apple-ipod-homage-chicago-art-institute-museum/

You’re not the only one, I definitely remember that one. Didn’t get too much press though.

I thought it was a serious project hehe. Now that you mention it, it looks familiar.

Wow, this is really impressive, he just broke the $300K mark! Any bets on where this ends at? I’m thinking 450-500K.
Go Scott, go!

Nice finds Deez!
Looks like the first one with the bottle opener (designed by an engineer) submitted his right before Scott and got the rug pulled from under him while the other one put his out a few days later only to look like a knockoff.

Wow, those others are not so good… Scott is up to $375,381 at this time… crazy! Good for him, will be good to see where this goes…

That is a nice case study of what design can do for sales. In this case, there’s really no other factors at play. One is at almost 400k, the others a few hundred bucks.

Anyone think the actual product is a little overhyped? The metal on metal issue was mentioned. How about the fact that you have wires connected from your ear to your moving arm (compared to mp3 strapped to your upper arm/bicep area where there is a lot less motion). I also get the feeling that there is a distinction between male and female watches and the fact that the new apple nano is somewhat large probably makes this product unappealing (at least I’m guessing) to the female population of watch wearers (female watches generally have significantly smaller faces). It also makes me ask who the exact target user is supposed to be … men, women, watch wearers, those who don’t own watches, exercisers/runners? Also the nike adapter, when attached, seems like it would be very uncomfortable on the wrist sticking out like shown in the video.

Also what is the thinking about the function of the band when the nano is taken out of the band? How will the user interact with an empty band? Does it matter thinking about such things?

I’ll be the first to sadly admit that part of my daily routine is checking kickstarter to see how much money another designer is making, :laughing: :mrgreen:

Whoa. Who doesn’t need a watch mounted bottle opener though? I mean, I’ve got one on the bottom of my sandals:

my belt buckle:

And on my bike:

Why not my wrist?

I’ve never been more proud to be a Wisconsinite Brewer fan!

Solid. I’m in. Scott Wilson and MNML do no-BS great work.

Okay, we’re at the final hours and he’s up to $921,000!!! Very nice indeed. Let the games begin (and some corporations get nervous if this stuff continues) :open_mouth:

Yes! I am following it like a new year’s eve countdown!
If anyone hasn’t seen it yet Scott posted a video of his recent trip to the factory in HK to finalize everything for production. It’s a really cool little video and amazing how much time goes into each one.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1104350651/tiktok-lunatik-multi-touch-watch-kits/posts

The silicone compression molding was a new one for me. I bet that factory worker always has problems with things slipping out of his hands from the residue. :laughing:

I have a new favorite design studio: Pensa

BTW, I met Marco Perry at a NE conference a couple years ago. I really like Pensa’s work & thinking. Now I can add sense of humor to that list.

Now Apple is going to be selling it. Simply amazing.

Incredible.

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1663858/scott-wilsons-nano-watchbands-leap-from-kickstarter-to-the-apple-store

Wow…why didn’t Rolex think of this?

Actually, how much would we have laughed in Timex launched a watch that had an mp3 player in it?