Close

Re: Toaster

Postby IDiot » April 28th, 2010, 11:45 am

IDiot
full self-realization
full self-realization

rkuchinsky wrote:
Vee wrote:Image

i think i'd call it a horizontal toaster rather than an oven. it melts cheese and other substances onto a surface really well aside from producing good toast. always comes with a crumb tray. good for heating a stale slice of pizza. i think the only downside is that the toast doesn't automatically pop up

Typically it's a toaster oven because you can also use it as a small oven for broiling and such (goes up to 350-450C), much higher than a toaster. It's a toaster because you can also use it on low power to only toast toast.

NOT the same as a normal full size oven.

R

I grew up with a toaster oven and no toaster, but gave up my toaster oven in favor or a toaster after a couple years.

Just for a little more fun with semantics, KitchenAid, calls the item pictured a "Countertop Oven"
and not a toaster oven.

Postby yo » April 28th, 2010, 11:54 am

yo
Administration
Administration

slight point of difference, there are counter top convection ovens, which are like grown up toaster ovens, not sure if this is one.

I also grew up with a toaster oven, and had one in college (what else do you cook Stouffer's pizzas in!!!???). Something about them feels very 1970's or dorm room to me. The microwave largely replaced them I think.

Postby NURB » April 28th, 2010, 12:17 pm

NURB

Au contrere mon freres. Notable 3-star chef Eric Ripert (of the 15th best restaurant in the world Le Bernardin) loves him some toaster oven. In fact, his show is conveniently sponsored by Cuisinart. You can do more than re-heat pizza and make quesadilla's. Check it out:

http://blog.aveceric.com/category/gettoasted
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Postby yo » April 28th, 2010, 12:45 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

I'd also cook up some hot dogs and maybe bake some cookies in the tube... oh yeah.

Postby NURB » April 28th, 2010, 12:50 pm

NURB

Wait, in the tube of dough? Awesome...
Chris Haar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Postby Travisimo » April 28th, 2010, 1:21 pm

Travisimo
full self-realization
full self-realization

I was in a department store the other day and was marvelling several product groups.. toasters especially (hey, if they don't have fancy toasters here in England, where would they?!)

One had touch buttons, which I was surprised. Touch buttons?!?

This one was nice and you cold watch the toast brown.

This one was nice too

Postby wods » April 28th, 2010, 1:57 pm

wods
step three
step three

I don't know what should I comment on this toaster. But new toaster design which I came across recently. Here is the description by the designer..

It engages its optical sensor to recognize bread and thereon activates the digitalization process of the toast. It doesn’t see itself merely as a compact toasting device but more like a print-maker of the traditional kind. Inspired by the early matrix printers, it now engages in burning black & white pictures with 12 by 12 pixel resolution into the toast by diligently marking line by line. With its candid intention of providing happiness to its owner, It can randomly draw from its repertoire of images encoded in its memory chip. It custom-toasts for a fresh start of the day.

Toaster or Toast Printer... :roll:
Attachments
zuse.jpg
zuse.jpg (15.7 KiB) Viewed 3069 times

Postby yo » April 28th, 2010, 2:09 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Is that real or a render? I'd love to see some stuff that changes the form factor of toasting. I did a little project with that idea in mind with the guys at Evo to try and make a bunch of everyday objects in unusual or more sculptural ways.
Attachments
Slide41.jpg

Postby wods » April 29th, 2010, 5:07 am

wods
step three
step three

I think it is a Render. Did your project with Evo was a toaster. Upload your work if you can.

Postby Travisimo » April 29th, 2010, 5:24 am

Travisimo
full self-realization
full self-realization

Cool toaster Yo - sure does break away from the usual toaster form

Looks like the toast printer's real... sure would make breakfast more fun!

Postby ono » April 29th, 2010, 9:45 am

ono
step four
step four

cool toaster idea Yo.
Also could belong in a desk top, I see a pattern emerging.
Milk was a bad choice

Postby bngi » April 29th, 2010, 9:55 am

bngi
full self-realization
full self-realization

Travisimo wrote:Cool toaster Yo - sure does break away from the usual toaster form

Looks like the toast printer's real... sure would make breakfast more fun!

That one is cool, a shame that the chord wasnt solved in a better way though. Atleast better arrangement in the exhibit.
Björn Bengtsson
iddqdse

"the unicorns do not look realistic enough"

Postby IDiot » May 10th, 2010, 8:52 pm

IDiot
full self-realization
full self-realization

Dug up this page of samples I did one afternoon to send to KitchenAid after they contacted me about an opportunity. Some of them definitely make me laugh these days, but they got my foot in the door at the time.
Attachments
r_toasters_001.png

Postby NURB » May 10th, 2010, 8:56 pm

NURB

Love the one in the bottom right that looks like it's from the Landspeeder Collection. Great renders though. And if it was the Landspeeder Collection, I'd probably buy it.
Chris Haar

Postby mbC » May 24th, 2010, 8:05 pm

mbC
step two
step two

rkuchinsky wrote:... they are usually ugly and take up so much counter space...

That's my big complaint with most toasters as well- they're too deep to sit nicely against the back of the counter. I've had one of these for the past four or five years:
I really like it- it's simple and takes up nearly no space. 4 pieces of toast per day, that's about 3,000 cycles before it started to have problems. Unfortunately, I have to trim the edges off of my Costco-size Milton's bread loaves :( If only the slot were a bit longer...

I've got its replacement in the pantry, but am not excited to use it. Why is no one making a horizontal toaster that tucks up under the cupboards? Because the crumbs will fall on the heating elements? No different from toaster ovens there...

This is hot- I've decided that I need a "specialized crumpet setting":
What current and voltage are they running over there?

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to consumer products