Close

all things Apple iPad

Postby TaylorWelden » January 27th, 2010, 4:51 pm

TaylorWelden

I watched the live updates on engadget this morning... and it couldn't have been more of an anticlimax.

the thing is bigger than an iPhone/iPod touch, has less power than a laptop, it can't call anyone, and has a ridiculous feminine hygiene product name.

to list a few other gripes;

there is no camera! forward or rear facing.

hard drive size is small.

no multitasking. (can't listen to pandora while reading a book, etc)

flash still not supported. (even in Jobs's demo, ouch)

you need an ADAPTER FOR A USB CABLE!

no HDMI output.

the keyboard dock... so now its a laptop again? except one that can't sit on your lap. (and again, an underpowered laptop. just like if you put 4 wheels, a steering wheel, and a motor on a product, people will think it is a car and should drive like one. leave it at 2 wheels, handlebars, and a motor and people will assume it operates like a motorcycle.)

did Apple just screw up? am I not the target market? has the product become so over-hyped that the release of anything at all would have been less than expected? or have they become so hyped / so successful in computing and design that we've become such critical critics?
Taylor Welden

Industrial Designer

Industrial Design Portfolio

bngi
full self-realization
full self-realization

I think the biggest let down is the fact that its not a real computer..

I've tried to re-write the following sentence 5 times now, because I hate the statement..but
Its "just" an iphone?

Im with you on this one.
Björn Bengtsson
iddqdse

"the unicorns do not look realistic enough"

TaylorWelden

"just" an iphone?

exactly.

an iPhone that's bigger, can't make calls, and doesn't have a camera.

it does have one or two additional features... but these are just a result of a bigger screen (ebook reader, etc).
Taylor Welden

Industrial Designer

jada
step four
step four

The iYawn.. ehm.. I mean iPad is just what I feared it would be: a platform for selling digital content through itunes store.
What exactly is the ‘look of buttermilk’ and why should I want it?

asango
step four
step four

asango wrote:this might actually makes sense for me personally.

- I kind of hate smart phones...from a usability stand point. Reading anything on them is a joke.
- I also kind of hate my laptop workstation. I can run CAD pretty well (Quadro card) but its annoying for a lot of reasons.
- I have a HP tablet that has always been so so.
- Cintiq is amazing.

so starting from scratch....

- dead simple cellphone....great battery life and amazing reception. Cheap and bulletproof.
- iPad for web / mobile stuff and sketching and reading.
- Monster workstation for rendering and CAD.
- Maybe even ditch the Cintiq if the iPad is a decent replacement.

It might actually simplify things for me. maybe

leaderbean
step one
step one

Couldn't agree more. I really can't believe it doesn't have multitasking! In many ways it isn't even as good as some of the new phones out there now. I don't think it's a terrible product, just disappointing.
Last edited by leaderbean on January 27th, 2010, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madhero
step four
step four

I agree that if you were expecting a new sort of laptop/tablet, this isn't it. What it really is is an extension of the current itunes/app environment in a larger format which then leads to newer possiblities - notably as an ebook reader, which this is really meant to compete with.

I do think that this will have a great response with the public. It is competitively priced compared to other ebooks readers AND it can do a WHOLE LOT more than what is currently on the market in that segment.

I for one really like it, but obviously would have loved it to be a full-blown tablet... but as it stands I think it has a strong chance to really shake things up.

linda_dong
step three
step three

I think the iPad is disappointing to people because they hyped it up to be something completely life-changing that would revolutionize technology and cure cancer while we're at it.

I think the product, while it doesn't hold too many surprises, is a solid design. It really shows the direction that Apple wants to head in the future and is a great starting point for a new tablet platform. It holds great promise for app developers and designers (especially the long-ignored desktop application developer) and for the future of digital print design.

So yeah, disappointing to some who wanted to be blown away, but I see a lot of promise in what the iPad can do in the future.
Trying to look good limits my life - Sagmeister
http://www.lindadong.com

TaylorWelden

- dead simple cellphone....great battery life and amazing reception. Cheap and bulletproof.
- iPad for web / mobile stuff and sketching and reading.
- Monster workstation for rendering and CAD.
- Maybe even ditch the Cintiq if the iPad is a decent replacement.

asango,

thing is, its not a cell phone, so no calls in or out.

can't sketch like you would on a Cintiq/Intuous/Bamboo. no pressure sensitivity. no stylus = you'd be drawing with your fingers.
Taylor Welden

Industrial Designer

asango
step four
step four

i know its not a cell, what I mean is that I would down grade my current smartphone to a simple call only version.

The multitasking is a bummer. I was hoping they would develop a new wrapper OS that would allow you to run multiple iPhone apps in it, like widgets almost.

I didn't catch the no pressure sensitivity part, I just assumed you'd have to be stupid not to include it...

mpdesigner
step four
step four

I would've considered buying it if I could use it like a Cintiq too. I'll be sticking with my TabletPC until it can also function as a sketch pad.

Caffeine
step two
step two

linda_dong wrote:So yeah, disappointing to some who wanted to be blown away, but I see a lot of promise in what the iPad can do in the future.

Like what, in the future...

GURU
step four
step four

Wow! Has anyone watched the over-enthusiastic video on their website ( http://www.apple.com/ipad/ ). Apple seemingly thinks everyone who is going to shell out $499. for the iPad is an idiot. Actors in this video talk exactly as teachers talk to kids in kindergarden. I'm not sure what the marketing team they employed were thinking.

The site stated "our most advanced technology in a magical and revolutionary device". What? Seriously, Apple? Your too good for this. Try again. :?

Robin
step four
step four

can't sketch like you would on a Cintiq/Intuous/Bamboo. no pressure sensitivity. no stylus = you'd be drawing with your fingers.

FAIL.

I thought Apple was trying to cultivate their reputation as the creative's go-to brand.
They have been giving all of their handheld hardware touch screens, I thought they were going to go balls out with the iPad and make their version of the Cintiq.
This is not what I was hoping for, to say the least.

bngi
full self-realization
full self-realization

From watching that video, the gestures look so much bigger, which makes them look very awkward. Big movements of the arm. Im not sure that it looks very comfortable. 99% of us are used to the small gestures from the touchpad, which translated very well to the iphone.

Is there any way you can use it in a professional setting, or is it just a couch gadget?

Edit:
No magesafe, just an iphone charger.. Ouch.
Björn Bengtsson
iddqdse

"the unicorns do not look realistic enough"

Go to the Next Page

Return to consumer products