Extreme power tools

Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but I just stumbled upon this drill that bears close resemblance to the Hitachi.

What’s interesting, is that it is a Lamborghini. :open_mouth: Really? Lambo sticking their badge on a bunch of cheap ugly tools? Now, I know they build more tractors than cars so the connection isn’t completely lost on me, but seriously… that? Or is this some other Lamborghini with the same logotype?

more: Tonino Lamborghini

Wow- you can see the cheap and ugly immediately. Man- that sucks for Lambo.
That is a huge plastic clutch and chuck.
Whatever I think of the Porsche drills, they did not skimp on materials, but the manufacturers really did a crap job on this design.

Tonino Lamborghini is the son of Lamborghini founder Ferruccio Lamborghini. He runs a merchandising company under his name that sells non-automotive Lamborghini-lifestyle luxury products such as clothing apparel, hand-built luggage, model cars, furniture, Bicycles, golf accessories, Watches, pens, eyewear, perfumes, etc. The company has stores worldwide such as Hong Kong and Italy

It’s actually from this Lamborghini, not the car company owned by VW. Some of the stuff on their website actually looks decent, although I didn’t spend a lot of time on it. This drill is hideous though. I guess Tonino has been hard up for money lately.

1. I definitely think Tonino Lamborghini needs money. I’ve seen ads all over downtown for something or another branded “Lamborghini”. Glad I’m not VW.

2. Saw these at the store the other day one aisle over from a Hitachi rack. They remind me of Gardena products. Seemed well made too. I think they might be a generic brand for the Rona stores in Canada. Anyone have more info?

Extreme Power Tools … are you kidding?!

THIS is an EXTREME POWER TOOL; it even requires a C.A.R.B. certificate to be operated in California :sunglasses:

Tanaka TED-26R

ENGINE
Engine Type: Two-Stroke
Displacement: 26 cc
Output H.P.: 1.3
Fuel Tank Capacity FL. OZ. (CC): 17.0 (500)
Cylinder: Chrome Plated, Stress Relieved
Connecting Rod: Forged Steel
Carburetion: Walbro® Diaphragm w/ Primer
Starting System: Standard Recoil
Ignition System: Transistorized Electronic
Clutch System: Heavy-duty Centrifugal

DRILL RELATED
Reduction Ratio: 20:1
Chuck Speed: 0-450 RPM with Power Reverse
Chuck Capacity - In. (mm): 1/2 (12.7)
Torque: 17.7 Ft./Lbs.

Max Bit Size - In. (mm): 1 (25) Wood, 1/2 Steel, 1/2 Concrete

MISC.
Dry Weight / LBS. (KG): 11.0 (5.0) w/o chuck 12.1 (5.4) w/ chuck
EPA Phase 2 Compliant: Yes
C.A.R.B. Tier II Compliant: Yes
Shoulder Strap: Optional

Now if you could put an air cooled Porsche engine and some carbon fiber on that, you’d really have something! :smiley:

Now if you could put an air cooled Porsche engine and some carbon fiber on that, you’d really have something!

Boxers are for wimps … . Bubba :wink:

And for when you can’t get those darned side cover screws out of your Honda Mini-Trail, this gasoline powered, 1" drive, Impact Wrench by Ningbo Trading Co., Ltd.
Ningbo Industries.jpg

Read a review of cordless drills today in a magazine which name translates to “The modern craftsman”. Out of about 10 different drills the board selected the Hitachi as the best looking one… go figure. In case you’re curious the Hitachi and Makita got the highest scores overall (design didn’t give points, but was mentioned in the captions)

In same mag there was an ad for a limited edition Hitachi:

Out of about 10 different drills the board selected the Hitachi as the best looking one… go figure.

Curious … that “today”, the sale of a power tool comes down to how it looks, as much as to how well it performs a task.

Pretty nice stuff! Haus Man eh?

Looks like Haussmann is Rona’s brand, just like Rigid is Home Depot’s house brand.

We had a lot of fun researching and designing this Demolition Hammer a few years back:

Hello, I have seen many hand tools in the past 10 years that are cheap and “often nasty” but for a person who does not use the equipment as part of his or her trade; it represents reasonable value. If it is likely to sit in the home shed more often than in your hand, then it is definitely reasonable value. I would also go as far as to say, that if you used and replaced these tools every 6 months it would still be in the category of reasonable value for your money.

Those hauss-mann look pretty good.
I like when tools look like tools (I.E Dewalt, Hilti), this makita looks almost good, and then they spoil it with the organic trimming.

You know there is a good beast underneath though.

Last year we did some work for Resqtec and came across their power tools, designed by Dutch design studio Van Berlo. Very good work, in our opinion.

Hi there,

Although this thread is old, I thought you might like to hear the opinion of a Hitachi customer, an occasional DIY-er having a day job as a computer programmer.

I recently needed to buy a rotary hammer drill. I’m from Europe, and we have a saying around here: if you need a good power tool, you can’t go wrong with a blue Bosch. So I was surfing the web to find a good deal for a 2 - 3 Kg Bosch hammer drill. Hitachi is not really known as a power tool manufacturer here.
A website similar to Amazon offered me an alternative, the Hitachi DH24PB3. At first I thought “no way, this looks cool but who in their right mind would design a power tool that looks like a toy?”. But in a sea of Bosch / Makita / DeWalt tools that all looked pretty much the same, this one really stood out. And it got my attention, it got me intrigued. I thought, “I bet the specs on that thing are a joke, too…” but nevertheless, I read the specs and to my amazement I found that currently this is the most powerful drill in this weight class…So after some more consideration, I decided to do something wild, something risky, something out of the ordinary, I took a gamble and I bought the Hitachi instead of the Bosch that everybody else buys.

Well, after several months of use I must say I’m absolutely thrilled with it. It’s as powerful as the spec says, it’s very solid and I absolutely love the grip and balance and the feeling of robustness that black rubber and silver metal casing creates.

And I must admit I also like how people that see me work with it are intrigued by it, starting a conversation just to ask me about it…All in all, I’m pleased with how it looks and I’m pleased it’s different than any ordinary blue Bosch. I guess I like to think about myself as a non-conformant individual and the looks of Hitachi’s power tools fit this concept.
PS: Based on this previous experience with Hitachi, I just ordered a DS10DFL driver/drill, I can’t wait to get my hands on it. :smiley:
DS10DFL.jpg
DH24PB3.jpg

Sure it may not be aesthetically pleasing but come on guys… there is more to a TOOL then how it looks. All of you should know that very well. It’s all about ergonomics, quality and feel.

From all the drills and saws I’ve used… I’ve always liked Hitachi the most.

Yes, but good design is functioning well AND looking good

Cool to hear from someone using the tools. Thanks for the input into the discussion. I see tools winning prizes in industrial design over the years and have not had the opportunity to use those designs. I’ve used epinions.com sometimes to find out what users are thinking about a given item, checking now, the users of hitachi drills don’t seem to be a prolific posting group, perhaps fits the profile of a hands on user. Contrast that with baby stroller reviews, new moms go into depth…

Regarding the haussmann designs, they stick out to me like sketches straight into production with absolute priority of design over ergonomics. I imagine pulling them out of a toolbox and the sharp angles catching on every cord and other tool. Don’t like the tool for the task. Dynamic shapes though, nice angle work.

I’ve used those Hitachi extensively ( for over a year I was on a team designing crew compartments for aerospace and we would often build full scale wooden models for testing ).

We had a great shop, probably 5-10 different brands of cordless screwdrivers, but were always fighting over the Hitachi… it just worked really well. Batteries seemed to last longer, the balance was great, it was shorter (you almost can’t tell in the photo), and because of that it could fit into really small spots.

It was a couple RISD guys and myself, and honestly, there was never any issue about the way it looked… nothing objectionable and the green rubber gave it good grip when you grabbed it. Because of that experience, I ended up buying one myself