Lets talk about the New line of Oakley watches

http://oakley.com/view_all/mens_watches

I actually think these are cool:
OAKLEY MINUTE : $1,195.00 /$3,500.00
HOLESHOT : $650.00
HOLESHOT Three-Hand Edition: $425.00

Here are the old ones I think is a bit gaudy:
DETONATOR/BLADE II /

Seems that are headed in the right direction don’t you think?
thoughts.

Which one would you buy?

I like the Minute Machine Leather the most, but I still wouldn’t buy it.

I always thought there’s something about Oakley watches (and other Oakley products, like those horrible Thump mp3 sunglasses) that’s just unrefined, almost vulgar.

The watchfaces themselves are not too bad, especially on the minute machines.

EDIT:
By the way, I’m currently the proud owner of a Guess watch with a wide leather, cuff-style strap and a very clean face :smiley: and I’m completely in love with it.

P.S. Does anyone have tips on cleaning small scratches off the glass of my watch? :wink:

I haven’t looked at anything Oakley in about 20 years but to me the watches are way overpriced. I think of them like a Casio G-Shock.

That being said, the Holeshot is nice. I wouldn’t pay over $100 for it though.

-J->

[quote=“J6Studios”]I haven’t looked at anything Oakley in about 20 years but to me the watches are way overpriced. I think of them like a Casio G-Shock.

That being said, the Holeshot is nice. I wouldn’t pay over $100 for it though.

-J->[/quote]

You might have to check chinatown for a oakley under $100 :smiley:

I wonder how much it cost in production and their markup for the $425-650 HOTSHOT.

Not one of them strikes my fancy.

Retail Oakley markup is 50% at least on sunglasses.

They should stick to glasses. They can’t seem to get past making everything they make “extreme!!” I should be chugging Mountain Dew wearing one of those watches.

1. Can you post this in Consumer Products?

2. I don’t like any of these watches, but I think they do follow the extreme aesthetic that Oakley is known for. I guess since their glasses are so expensive and people still buy them, people are willing to pay for the look.

I’m not so into thee. the Bell & Ross stuff has been calling for my wallet lately though…love those huge square cases.

definitely not my aesthetic (would wear one if if i got it for free), but i can see that there is a consumer out there for it.

the minute machine leather is the closest to something i’d wear but still a bit too much IMHO.

http://oakley.ca/pd/4174/12592

aside from the old school razor blades i had back in the nineties, i dont think ive liked any product they’ve had since (although the retro frogskins are making a comeback with the hipsters, and i like).

R

I have a pair of Black/Bronze Eyeshades from the mid 80’s somewhere in storage.

They were pretty fresh when they came out! Perfect for sports. After that, I didn’t like any of their designs.

-J->

Damn those are pricey watches from a brand like Oakley, and the execution is pretty heavy handed (EXXXXXTREME!). Well, I guess they are designing for their market.

I’m not so into thee. the Bell & Ross stuff has been calling for my wallet lately though…love those huge square cases.

I got a knock-off B&R from a friend on a visit to China. Its fairly good for back-alley hardware, and I’ve had a few friends flip when they see it on my arm. Not willing to drop that coin on a watch with my prevalence to bang the hell out of whatever is on my arms.[/url]

have you seen the new Bell & Ross? Saw it in Automobile this month… friggin sweet, not that their stuff wasn’t already beautiful…

oh, and those Oakley watches are a little painful. Odd late 90’s OTT (Over The Top) mixed with weird conservative stuff… makes for an odd mix up look to me.

When I think Oakley, I think Mullets and Pickup trucks.
These are $50 watches at best.

1. those are a bunch of really expensive toys

2. the minute machine looks exactly like someone picked up a Monaco and said “it should look like this, but more oakley?”

3. they registered “UNOBTAINIUM” as a material name

I wonder what the story is over there. Clearly they are lost in the 90’s with that terminator meets batman over the top organic aesthetic. I kind of admire that they are not trying to copy the freaking ipod like everyone else but still. It is a little sad because they have hosed what used to be a fairly design savy brand. Hell, even Ocean Pacific did a better job of updating their brand.

as long as there are people who like to watch cars driving around in a circle (NASCAR), there will unfortunately be a market for this over the top design. post post modern, perhaps :wink:

on a funny sidenote i read an article recently that said the designer of the new dodge avenger (dont get me started on US car design) was inspired by his oakley sunglasses and how cool they made him feel!

The lead exterior designer for the Avenger is Ryan Nagode. One of the things that he says inspired the design of the Avenger is a pair of Oakley sunglasses he owned: “They embodied character, attitude.”

yikes!

R

That is frightening. I think that I would be more inclined to wear Blueblockers…at least then I could pretend to be eccentric.

I saw some of Oakley’s watches back when I first started working for a watch company. They are no doubt, oakley, when i saw it i knew what brand it was. I have to agree with everyone else who posted, they are pretty ugly. The styling works, well did work for sunglasses, but it surely doesn’t translate to watches. The thing about watches is they seems to always revert to a classic or modern style. Bell & Ross, as was mentioned earlier, is classic, clean, geometric, beautiful. Panerai, Patek, Hublot, Jaeger-LeCoultre are basically the same thing. Honestly i would rather spend the money on the new Timex TX series, since i couldn’t possibly afford anything from the brands i just mentioned.

Besides, is oakley really using any new technology to justify the high cost? I remember that their sunglasses have some good tech behind them but it seems like the watches are just swiss made, maybe sapphire crystals. Watches today are all about complications, tourbillions/automatics, hell there’s one that will unlock your Aston Martin. In the watch world, if it doesn’t have some bad ass feature, the name determines how much its worth.

just found this-

Timberland watch. Actually looks more Oakley than most of the Oakley watches, but certainly NOT Timberland. Off the shelf, slap a logo-on job, perhaps? $345.

R

$345! Ha, that’s funny.