Close

Re: proportions

Postby yo » July 2nd, 2015, 10:31 am

yo
Administration
Administration

I realize the old link didn't work. New link http://michaelditullo.com/Design/PROPORTIONS.html

Postby yo » July 2nd, 2015, 11:31 am

yo
Administration
Administration

getting the full post in here:

One of the things I found toughest to understand when I started designing shoes was how much the most subtle change in proportion altered a concept. Boots, Basketball Shoes, Trainers, Running Shoes, Athletic Lifestyle Shoes, Flats, Pumps, Mary-janes all have very specific shapes. When you understand these shapes, you can subtly push them. When you don't, you scratch your head and wonder why your shoe doesn't look right.

page13_1.jpg
page13_1.jpg (37.58 KiB) Viewed 3398 times

Above are three simple proportions. The top one is a Basketball Shoe, but it could easily be a Hiking Boot if the collar was raised and the toe box thickened. The second is a Running Shoe, but it could easily be a Trainer with a little thickening. The bottom shoes a low profile athletic lifestyle silhouette.

page13_2.jpg
page13_2.jpg (80.8 KiB) Viewed 3398 times

Above you can see how a few simple lines make these proportions come to life. These designs are pretty conservative. But from here you can start to push new concepts. In order to break the rules, you first need to know why they exist in the first place.

Postby Kershaw » May 22nd, 2017, 12:48 pm

Kershaw
step four
step four

bumping this one back to the top - are the proportions still on the site MD? Looking for the boot proportion sheet to start fresh.

Postby yo » May 22nd, 2017, 1:58 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Hey Jim, I sent you a note. I haven't had a chance to reboot (no pun intended) the tutorial section of my site. Since I've pivoted over to making it a studio site I'm figuring out how to have congruence with the tutorials. I might just make it a blind link, but either way I want to redo them. I think I'll switch them to videos for the most part as well.

Previous

Return to footwear & softgoods