Close

Does the footwear industry use CAD?

Postby bishop » June 3rd, 2015, 9:54 am

bishop

Hey gang,

1. Is there CAD software that the big name brands use to make 3D printed Prototypes? I've read a lot of articles about brands like Clarks, Nike, New Balance using CAD to increase their prototyping efficiency by creating more iterations in less time. Apparantly this seems to be the new big switch in footwear development. I just can't find any actual specifics on what CAD programs they use. (I realize there is a lot of hype about 3D printed shoes for the retail market, but in this discussion I'm just interested in the 3D printer as a prototyping tool.)

Solidworks is what I'm familiar with, but I'm not sure it's possible to add dimensional texture to a model I intend to print.

I saw Shoemaker Pro, and from what I've seen online, it looks pretty incredible -- almost too good to be true.

2.On a side note, I'm also interested in which 3D printers these companies use, 3D systems seems to offer printers with good color and definition capabilities. I'm bias to them because I used a projet 3500 HD at my last job, but I'd like to know of any others common to the footwear industry.

Thanks for all your help!

Re: Does the footwear industry use CAD?

Postby yo » June 3rd, 2015, 11:21 am

yo
Administration
Administration

When I was at converse they used Rhino for the tooled parts and freeform for the soft uppers. Nike actually developed some of its own software for uppers with proprietary features.

Postby ralphzoontjens » October 26th, 2016, 7:48 am

ralphzoontjens
full self-realization
full self-realization

Rhinoceros + Grasshopper with Lunchbox and Weaverbird plug-ins opens up some incredible opportunities for shoe design.

Autodesk Within is another application creating optimized generative structures. It was used by Under Armour for their Architech 3D printed shoe. Autodesk's Shoemaker Pro and other footwear design software have been discontinued.

iCad 3D+ is a 3D modeling environment geared especially towards footwear and outputs STL and IGES formats.
http://www.designsoul.nl
Designsoul - Product Design & Visualisation

Postby iab » October 26th, 2016, 10:04 am

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

What's used for the patterns?

Postby yo » October 26th, 2016, 11:08 am

yo
Administration
Administration

Nike had developed some pretty custom tools with some partners. Similar in someways to some of the sheet metal plug ins that allow you to unfold a pattern. You could then build up lines on a last, creat offsets based on material thickness, unfold that to flat for the factory or import and merge it with the tooled parts.

Postby amunta » October 26th, 2016, 1:34 pm

amunta

yo wrote:Nike had developed some pretty custom tools with some partners. Similar in someways to some of the sheet metal plug ins that allow you to unfold a pattern. You could then build up lines on a last, creat offsets based on material thickness, unfold that to flat for the factory or import and merge it with the tooled parts.

That's pretty cool. Do they use the 3D files for renderings as well?

Postby Mr-914 » October 27th, 2016, 6:52 am

Mr-914

14 years ago, I just did a tech package in Illustrator. Mind you, I was using an existing sole tooling, so it was only an upper design.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Return to footwear & softgoods