Dress Shoe suggestions

In terms of quality I would go for the Kenneth Cole. It’s looks like pretty decent quality for the price. Hugo Boss has some nice shoes as well although I think they focus too much on quantity instead of quality. Some of the other shoes mentioned have too poor leather quality IMO. The thing with some shoes is that they use cheap leather and other materials just to keep the shoe in a certain price range. I try to stay away from those. $200-$250 is not a bad price for a nice dress shoe at all.

@brett_nyc It’s not necessarily a cheap shoe. A cemented dress shoe can be cheaper but it is also used for premium and luxury footwear with the best leathers for the uppers and lining, leather outsole etc. In this case the manufacturer could just as easily opt for a goodyear welted construction but likely they just prefer the flexible and lightweight cemented construction. I think the leather welt on a cemented shoe can really enhance the look. The stitching is indeed decorational and may throw some people off.

If you ask me all the shoes above, Kenneth Cole, Boss, Hush Puppies, Cole Haan, Varvatos, are all cemented.

The HP’s are definitely cement, wont find goodyear welt construction in the prince range he is looking for, except for clearance or markdowns.

some pics of our bozeman to sweeten the deal, they would be resole-able, basically cobbler would just rip off leather sole and cement another one on, the red stitching in the outsole is decorative, not functional, also rear 3/4 sheepskin leather lining and full sheepskin footbed cover, thats an area where you will find other shoes under $200 going textile or only doing skeleton leather linings.:

saw these this am…

It’s like one of those pictures where you either see the old lady or the young girl.
givenchy-wingtip-sneaker-boot-1.jpg

The Hush Puppies, the Kennith Cole, or the Cole Hanna’s or the one’s Yo suggested. (Yo what are the last ones with the celest sole? I need them) Personally with jeans you can make stuff pop with color. I’ve been looking for some wingtips in pink forever. Also Ox blood is always nice with dark denim, and as it wears it looks better and better. I’d like to get some brogue type in an odd color for daily wear.

Those are awesome.

Those are all Cole Haans I posted.

Have you guys seen the Cole Haan wingtips with The Nike Lunar outsoles? I saw a guy with them yesterday, looked sweet.

http://www.nikeblog.com/2012/02/02/cole-haan-lunargrand-wingtip/

These blue soled D&Gs look the business! :open_mouth:

Those D&G’s are hot!

Dunno about Kenneth cole quality. I think they are a bit cheap. I say invest in a good pair and if well taken care of they can be rebuilt forever. There is a big quality gap between $250 and $500 shoes. They will last more than twice as long and be more comfortable. I suggest check out costume national, Pierre hardy and n.d.c.

Better to get an expensive shoe on sale if you can than a cheap one. I have a Pierre hardy kangaroo Oxford that was originally $950 I got for $350
That is more comfy than any sneaker I own. Rebuilt outsole and insole twice and the upper looks like new.

R

I’d Recommend Allen Edmonds (http://www.allenedmonds.com) They offer a recrafting and rebuilding service on many of their shoes that allow them to last many years with proper care. They also look good.
ALLENEDMONDSMcTAVISHTAN.jpeg

This discussion reminds me of my dad’s collection of Florsheim Imperial Oxford wing tips; two pairs of brown, two pairs of black. He always told me, “buy the best, they wear the longest.” I don’t remember him buying these shoes, but I do remember him sending them back to the factory for repair.

An old-school industrial equipment salesman for forty years, his Sunday afternoon ritual was to polish them all. He lived by the credo, “put your best foot forward”, and it showed.

I guess Florsheim is once again owned by the Florsheim family.

foot opening looks a little wide to me… vamp too short?

Thought I would give an update here. I picked up this pair of Hush Puppies a couple weeks ago. These things are the most comfortable pair of shoes I have put on my feet. I have to admit they didn’t blow my socks off when I first saw them, but fell in love when I tried them on. I am still in the market for some nice wingtips thought.
Screen shot 2012-04-01 at 10.32.24 PM.png

Nice, but rather more restrained than most of the hints above.
I liked those colorful options, but like to ask, why the color for
men shoes has gone that wild. I’d love more classical color like
dark green, blue or dark cherry, but those are not offered at the
moment.
Wing Tips. I love the quality of LLoyd shoes, but I don’t know
if they are available in the US for a competitive price:

mo-i

Yeah I know they are restrained. I am still on the hunt.

Check these guys out for more of a men’s casual

Made in the USA as well.

score! haha :wink:
you didn’t like the look of the wingtips i posted photos of earlier in the thread? they are on the same construction as the ones you bought, so they would give the same comfort, but a more rounded toe last shape that is more fitting of the wingtip brogue.

LLoyd are pretty hard to find over here, we have a few pairs around the office, but i think they were all bought in europe.

Finally got my wingtips. Picked up this pair of Cole Hanns couple weeks ago. I also found a pair of Blue suede wingtips, but could not justify the price of both pair. I will pick them up later.
Screen shot 2012-04-17 at 11.00.59 PM.png