Adhering foam to fabric?

I’m hoping for some advice about foam. I’m attempting to build a bag that needs to have foam protection in it (like a camera case). The foam will basically be sandwiched between two pieces of fabric - an outer cordura (or similar) and a fun inner lining for aesthetics. My question is, what techniques do people/companies use to adhere the foam to the fabric so that the fabric doesn’t sag, etc.? I don’t want there to be any gap between the foam and the fabric on either side - I need it to appear as though it’s just one piece of lined foam. Does it need to be quilted? Is there a glue? Some other treatment?

Thanks!

an Auto parts store will have roof liner adhesive spray, (for when the fabric inside an older car pulls away from the cieling’s foam insulation). It won’t last forever but it also wont dissolve the foam like other spray adhesives can.

In industry it is run through a laminator that coats with a thin layer glue and presses through rollers and around a heated drum. For a prototype, a spray mount type adhesive on both surfaces would be a good place to start.

cut up enough shoes and you will come across the occasional double stick tape.

Is this sort of laminating possible for all sorts of foams and all sorts of fabrics? Or are there any restrictions?

Generally anything can be laminated. A question of the type of glue and the strength needed. Whether or not the character of the composite material fits your task is the bigger question.

Thanks, nxakt. I’m wondering - is there any sort of resource that you know of (website, book, class, anything really) where I can learn about more industry techniques like this that are commonly used in the manufacturing of soft goods products (specifically backpacks and bags)? Like, different seam finishes, etc.?

Not being at all flippant, but the best resource, library, classroom is a big sports store. Tens of millions of dollars of targeted research and development at your disposal. You can spend hours looking at seams and constructions and no one really cares. To see inside you’ll have to get a hold of one and take it apart. There are no compilations of techniques and materials other than that that I know.

Trade shows are even better because you can see products that will never make it to the store. They are considerably less tolerant of you doing on the spot detailed analysis on the product however.