strobel vs. cemented

Is there anyone here who prefers one over the other? Or would you use it in different situations.

In my case I’m talking about a casual desert boot sneaker with a rubber unit sole. I wanted to have it cemented first butnow I have a strobel sample and I don’t know why I wouldn’t want this.

By cemented do you mean board lasted?

not sure what you are asking…i cannot really remember all the cons & pros of strobel v. board v. combination construction, but i think a strobel type construction is the most flexible and uses materials more efficiently as the other constructions have the upper material wrap over the board…i think board lasting is good when a shoe is toe lasted???

Exactly, board lasted. It will be stiffer then and that can have its pros and cons. I also think that the stif shank makes it unecessarily heavy.

The strobel is lock stitched with textile on the edges with a paper board. It is indeed more efficient with materials and it keeps the shoe light and flexible.

Another advantage of strobal over board lasted is that it’s less affected by water - if I have to design washable sneakers for kids, then they are made using a strobal construction.

In my experience, the only advantage of board lasting is that the overall shape of the product tends to be tighter and more controlled you might also get less midsole wrap… it depends what your project priorities are. It is comfort and light weight, strobal is the way to go. You can also try California construction, which is more expensive, but comfortable and maintains shape nicely.

Thanks for the input everyone! I’ll be awaiting several new samples and make a decision once I get those.

que es eso? example(s) por favor!?

haha, i had someone explain california construction to me at work once, but i still didnt really understand it. that was a few years ago now, and it was in womens dress shoes, so maybe now i will be able to grasp it better. :stuck_out_tongue:

Typically if you are using a RB cupsole you want cemented (board lasted). A RB cupsole like in a boot normally has an eggcrate design inside which you would feel if strobel lasted. Strobel or slip lasted (so many terms, I know) are normally used for athletic shoes that require more flex and lightweight as well as sometimes more stretch to the upper (ie. mesh as opposed to leather).

California construction is less common but used also for athletic shoes. In California construction, the seam is down the middle of the bottom as opposed to the edges of the lasting board. There is also combination lasting which uses strobel in the heel and california in the toe or vice versa.

There are also several other type, FYI such as stitch down, and board lasting in combination with a type of cement being injected during toe and heel lasting as commonly used in soccer shoes.

R

You can also combination last with board lasting, ie strobal in the heel and board in the toe (for better toe shape). Endless variations!

You can also ‘punch’ a star shape in the heel and lines in the forefoot. This will help the board slightly flex where it need to.

I’ll post a graphic when I have free time,
GURU

so why use/what are the benefits of the california construction?

LEss material around the edge of the lasting board, so cleaner inside and with assembly is my take on it. I’ve never really needed to use.

R

california constructions sounds like and expensive over use of upper material.

I actually had a shoe a while ago where I felt the eggcrate through the insole, but usually it’s not noticeable if you put in the right layers. That one shoe also had some type of grid in the forefoot, like the eggcrate in the back but a different pattern and lower. This was much more annoying than the eggcrate in the back because of the weight distribution. I’m not sure if this is normal. I have seen it several times after but I have also seen unit sole with a smooth forefoot and only eggcrate in the back.

An eggcrate inside a RB cupsole is used to remove weight and thickness. If the thickness of the sole/sidewall is more than the normal 4mm it is used. If there is one in the back and not the front it means the last has a high heel stack height and the forefoot outsole thickness is small.

Only time I’ve ever seen strobel with a cupsole that works OK is for kids where you want the flex, and the surface area and kid’s weight is so small they don’t feel the eggcrate. see below (kid’s shoe) -

R

What do you think about eggcrate on vulcanized construction? I’ve also felt the eggcrate through the insole here once and noticed the eggcrate contours showing through the insole board after some weeks of wear and weight on it. What insole board would prevent this from happening? Texon?

Also, on a different note, why do italian cemented shoes always seem so much heavier and have a stiffer shank than chinese cemented (i.e. designer sneakers). Is this just pure prefence of the factories or brands? Tradition? Or perhaps it’s because of the overall chunkier design.

Cons actually use a sponge rubber footbed which helps with under the foot feel.

Vans does the same.

R