So, what makes YOU think you know how to design shoes?

Needless to say that there are hundreds of things to consider when designing footwear, i think that one of the most important aspects to consider is the way one walks o runs. Of course, like some of you mentioned, there are no two pairs of feet that wear down the same shoes in the same way… so how does one find a perfect fit?
I’ve heard a lot about ‘naked’ shoes lately. Like this Vibram Five Finger Shoesl: Welcome projecthitchhiker.com - BlueHost.com
Personally, i think they’re preeeetty ugly… but there must be some reason they’re flying off the shelves all over the world, right?
Apparently they’re extremely confortable, and even make you run faster. I imagine this is because people are running ‘the wrong way’ as it has been mentioned in various articles lately. Implying that people are mistakebly running on the heels of their feet, where as landing on the arch of the foot would be the point of most shock-absorption. I find this all very interesting but im not sure if it is the case with my feet. When I walk or run, I tend to put all my weight on the outer part of my feet (slightly bending my heels and having my feet face inward). This causes all of my shoes to wear down on the outer part of the heel, and quite rapidly… does anyone else have this situacion? or any feedback on comfortable shoes that aren’t completely hideous?
-Lu