New Running brand and footwear design - SKORA

I’ve always been a sucker for halftones. I love the color combinations that they (you) have been putting together for this brand. Im curious as to how you guys are finalizing your color selections? Does marketing/product development give you the direction (color pallete), or do they leave it completely up to you?

Also, nice mockups. Are you using pepekura to output the cut/fold marks?

I am marketing/product development/design/strategy/colors+materials :slight_smile: Color options start with my concepts, then review with 2-3 people, then finalize. Then everything changes once I get first samples…

Paper mockups are mode using the base pattern received from the factory (after my pattern review), pattern created in illustrator, cut out and hacked together with an exactor and tape. Cuts are all made as needed in no particular place, just to get it somewhat smooth on the last. As the actual material stretches on lasting and paper doesn’t it’s all a bit approximate.

Some more (paper version #16 and first pullover)

Lots more on the tumblr!

R

R- This is one of my favorites since the launch design. Its nice how you used the mid foot support from the Phase (?) internally. The dark pictures with the light source inside the shoe (on the tumblr) make for a great visual+story. Love this sole unit too, glad to see it make another appearance.

Great work as always. Very impressive what you have been able to do with the brand. Your marketing/product development/design/strategy/colors+materials hat seems to be fitting well :wink:

-Matt

Thanks for the love, Matt. Once more pics and details are released I’ll be sure to share. It’s a pretty fresh design and early testing reviews have been awesome. The design was directly influenced by the new “3d” printing technique that enable a dynamic support pattern, hence the gradient halftone. Tweaked some other stuff too on the outsole/midsole/insole.

R

Oops. Forgot to follow-up after last season’s launch.

Anyhow, FW14 just dropped, and some exciting new colorways and updates to all styles, including the new FIT mentioned above. Special colors include the Digital Camo leather FORM and the Stealth reflective PHASE-X (my faves).

Check it out.

R

They are my favorite. Hard to see, but the mesh is also reflective as are the laces. Here’s an actual pic of me wearing them straight from the iPhone, no photoshop.

R

R, these shoes look amazing. I’m with yo, the 3m’s are my fave. I live in a very dimly lit neighbourhood so they would be great to be running in.

Latest style dropped today.

TEMPO

100% new upper design, tooling, materials. TEMPO is a moderately cushioned neutral running shoe designed for middle-long road distance (though has also been used by our wear testers very successfully on trail, including a few Trail Ultras).

Upper is a super lightweight and breathable mono mesh with a no-sew microfiber internal arch band and no-sew taping reinforcement across the vamp and eye stay. Like all SKORA shoes, it has asymmetric lacing and a tongue that is fixed on one side.

Midsole/Outsole is a hybrid design. It’s a CM EVA with co-molded rubber lugs for a very lightweight, but still durable outsole with good traction. The outsole is zero drop and rounded like all the other SKORA tooling units.

Here’s a few pics, will dig up some more process pics. Just happy to finally be able to show this. Have been working on it and testing it in my own runs for over a year.

R

Some detail pics.

R

I’m really impressed of the steep advance of the technical manufacturing level, and the short period of time it’s taken. Upper looks fantastic!

Never had the pleasure of trying them, or even seeing them first person.
Are you moving towards a thicker/ more cushioned midsole on all models, or is this one unique?

Did you manage to shave a lot of weight by decreasing the amount of rubber on the outsole, or was it a flexibility a bigger concern?

Big fan of asymmetric lacing. Great work!

Thanks bngi. This new style really came together and involved a lot of technical development. Glad it shows. This model reflects just one in the range of different cushioning solutions. Just another tool in the quiver for a runner. I use these on my longer runs/races (such as recent 30k), and something with less cushioning for speedwork and racing (like an upcoming half marathon). Because of the super light weight upper and density of the cushioning, the feel underfoot is actually a lot more minimal than the specs would seem. We really dialed in the density and durometer of the midsole EVA to get the right balance between cushioning and ground feel.

Here’s some more development pics.

Outsole development in China. We went through something like 4 wooden models trying to adjust the height and size of the lugs for optimal wear, grip and durability as well as material spec.

Blue sample is I think 5th pullover on a cast silicone outsole proto.

Pinkish sample is a 3rd pullover on an existing tooling before outsole was ready.

R

Funny coincidence, Skora salesrep was at the office today. I’ll swing by the ftw-manager tomorrow to have a touch and go.

has it been 10+ years?

Congratulations! Amazing feet, that it has been 10 years, already.

Run on strong!

strange

Dunno where you got that link. But it’s not it.

:wink:

Hmmm. I don’t ever remember that being the URL, even though looks like I posted that. I designed all of the iterations of the website except for maybe the pre-launch site. I can’t recall if we moved the domain before launch.

Anyhow, the brand got bought and sold a few times since I had something to do with it. I think it’s defunct again now (sadly). Was interesting though looking at the product again though 10 years later and seeing it still hold up pretty well in terms of design.

1 Like

https://skorarunning.com/

Still looking good!

Not sure what happened the shape of that shoe…Looked better before :wink:

1 Like