Re: Interchangeable Footwear

Postby ADD » February 1st, 2013, 11:55 pm

ADD
step four
step four

Interesting detailing..

Lego-Inspired Interchangeable Shoes for Men ...
Attachments
urshuz.jpg
urshuz.jpg (134.83 KiB) Viewed 7564 times

Postby superwoo » February 2nd, 2013, 11:25 am

superwoo
step one
step one

Check out Toeot Sandals new bootie accessory called vj002-1.

Despite the colours the form language is similar to the interchangeable headphones from a previous comment.

and another attachment system they use.

Postby tmatic » February 14th, 2013, 10:20 am

tmatic

"Tmatic, i believe this is the Tmatic from such fame as the footsoldiers?!

yes?

good to be in touch mate"

It is indeed, well I left there last year. Sorry who is this though?

A late reply I know, been busy!

Postby singletrack » February 14th, 2013, 1:07 pm

singletrack
step three
step three

I know this not fashion oriented foot wear. But I fly fish a lot and use a boot by a company called Kokers. They have a great system for interchangeable outsoles. This is an important feature because of the spread of invasive animal species. There has been a big push to rubber outsoles with spikes. This does not grip as well as the old felt soles. But keeps the animal life form hanging in you outsoles to a minimum. But if you want felt soles you use to have to buy a different shoe. With there design you can just easily replace the felt outsole for a new rubber spike sole for watersheds that require it. It works I have swapped the outsoles many times with out much problem.

Postby wallflower » February 14th, 2013, 3:48 pm

wallflower
step four
step four

I'm sure most footwear designers know of the presto clip and its interchangable soles, but I thought this thread deserved a pic just in case. I thought it was an elegant solution as the midsole/upper literally 'clips' on and off. (50% of the EVA midsole is visible - the protruding EVA 'pods' - while the other half of the EVA sits inside the upper) . Sadly the pair I bought failed early on due to the rubber ripping underneath (under normal light wear too - I never 'unclipped' the sole), but strangely I still love them.
Attachments
Nike Presto Clip.jpg
Nike Presto Clip.jpg (59.79 KiB) Viewed 7357 times

Postby rkuchinsky » February 14th, 2013, 3:56 pm

rkuchinsky

Was the clip ever meant to change soles? I thought it was just a smart design/assembly thing. If I recall correctly I think Ecco or vivo also had a shoe a while back with the same construction.

R
Richard Kuchinsky / Directive Creator
http://www.rkuchinsky.com

The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

Postby wallflower » February 14th, 2013, 5:21 pm

wallflower
step four
step four

rkuchinsky wrote:Was the clip ever meant to change soles?

I'm not sure. I think some stores here in the UK switched the different coloured soles around for display purposes, so I presumed it was a customisation thing. I think it was in store around the same time their considered range so your smart assembly reasoning makes sense.

Postby yo » February 15th, 2013, 11:47 am

yo
Administration
Administration

I forgot about the clip. Those came out right when I started at Nike in the early 2000's. They were the first shoe I bought from the employee store. Designed by Eric Avar. I loved those things. I think the original thought was to be interchangeable, but to get it to function correctly as a shoe, the mechanical lock was so tight that it was incredibly difficult to disassemble. Plus there was no retail vehicle for just buying uppers or sole units because .com retail was not nearly as developed as it is now.

Postby nordmade » February 26th, 2013, 10:49 am

nordmade
step one
step one

Hi everyone

We've been developing the product and i'm visiting the FE in a few weeks to review the various test prototypes we have in work. We're still deciding on the construction of the tongue and its attachment.

*the product is interchangeable where the upper zips off from the outsole, and can be changed into a hi-top silhouette simply by zipping on a new upper. the toecap is lasted to the sole and the upper zips off from toecap to toecap if you get what i mean*

1. Should it be a detachable tongue which attaches via velcro/other which would mean that the overall colour of the shoe would be tonal - ie. grey tongue and grey upper. This would mean that the tongue would be sold along with the upper as a separate product in-store.

2. Or have a fixed tongue which would be stitched to the toecap - this will however compromise the look of the shoe as the tongues will all have to be one colour or, we design it so the tongue can be covered to compliment the upper colour.

3. Also if the tongue is fixed it will have to somehow transform into a tongue suitable for a high top as well as a low top.

We're speaking to buyers at the moment to gauge whether the detachable tongue is one step too far in terms of it becoming a 3 piece product - upper, tongue, outsole. It originally was conceived as a two piece product with only the outsoles and the upper.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

Postby dziner82 » March 18th, 2013, 10:46 am

dziner82
step four
step four

wallflower wrote:I'm sure most footwear designers know of the presto clip and its interchangable soles, but I thought this thread deserved a pic just in case. I thought it was an elegant solution as the midsole/upper literally 'clips' on and off. (50% of the EVA midsole is visible - the protruding EVA 'pods' - while the other half of the EVA sits inside the upper) . Sadly the pair I bought failed early on due to the rubber ripping underneath (under normal light wear too - I never 'unclipped' the sole), but strangely I still love them.

this is a cool shoe, im not sure if its the shoe R was referring to but terra plana did a shoe called the Barack that had a interchangeable type sole with a TPU cage. I looked into doing other interchangeable sole ideas but the patent surrounding this nike shoe was a roadblock against doing anything involving interchangeable sole ideas, wish nike would do more with the patent.

Previous

Return to footwear & softgoods

©2014 Core77, Inc. All rights reserved
about | contact us | advertise | mailing list