new and confused (footwear)

Postby eddielozadaymailcom » November 13th, 2012, 5:51 pm


eddielozadaymailcom
 
Posts: 3
Joined: November 13th, 2012, 5:48 pm
hello everyone,

i am new to the site and would appreciate some advice. I have just acquired a used MACBOOK PRO INTEL CORE 2 DUO/2.33 GHZ laptop and am currently working on a footwear design/product. i have just made up my mind today that i would like to design the product myself as compared to paying a designer to do it for me. would ILLUSTRATOR CS4 be a good enough program to use for my project? best wishes. thanks. :|

Re: new and confused (footwear)

Postby dctalks » November 13th, 2012, 7:34 pm


dctalks
 
Posts: 12
Joined: May 24th, 2012, 12:16 pm
Adobe illustrator is a good program to start to setup most of the line work for the shoe, but then it is usually both into Adobe Photoshop and then line work is used as paths to easily shade and highlight selected areas. I would suggest go on to youtube and search shoe rendering tutorial, to get an idea of how some designers setup a shoe rendering.

Re: new and confused (footwear)

Postby eddielozadaymailcom » November 13th, 2012, 7:41 pm


eddielozadaymailcom
 
Posts: 3
Joined: November 13th, 2012, 5:48 pm
dctalks wrote:Adobe illustrator is a good program to start to setup most of the line work for the shoe, but then it is usually both into Adobe Photoshop and then line work is used as paths to easily shade and highlight selected areas. I would suggest go on to youtube and search shoe rendering tutorial, to get an idea of how some designers setup a shoe rendering.


That is great advice i havent thought of that yet and ive literally used my entire day at work doing research and reading different reviews. i greatly appreciate your help.

Re: new and confused (footwear)

Postby dctalks » November 13th, 2012, 7:44 pm


dctalks
 
Posts: 12
Joined: May 24th, 2012, 12:16 pm
Yea no problem, Check out Cadjunky's videos at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdhHmVUCv5o they should help you out a lot.

Re: new and confused (footwear)

Postby eddielozadaymailcom » November 13th, 2012, 7:49 pm


eddielozadaymailcom
 
Posts: 3
Joined: November 13th, 2012, 5:48 pm
dctalks wrote:Yea no problem, Check out Cadjunky's videos at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdhHmVUCv5o they should help you out a lot.


again thank you very much im on it right now.

Re: new and confused (footwear)

Postby rkuchinsky » November 13th, 2012, 10:41 pm

User avatar

rkuchinsky
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 5345
Joined: July 3rd, 2005, 9:20 am
Location: Toronto, Canada
Software has nothing to do to make you a footwear designer. It's only a tool. You can design with a pencil and paper if you know what you are doing. Thinking that having the right software means you don't need a designer is a recipie for failure.

R
Richard Kuchinsky / Directive Creator
http://www.rkuchinsky.com

The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

Re: new and confused (footwear)

Postby TaylorWelden » November 14th, 2012, 2:19 am

User avatar

TaylorWelden
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 916
Joined: August 30th, 2006, 4:38 pm
Location: Austin, TX.
eddielozadaymailcom wrote:hello everyone,

i am new to the site and would appreciate some advice. I have just acquired a used MACBOOK PRO INTEL CORE 2 DUO/2.33 GHZ laptop and am currently working on a footwear design/product. i have just made up my mind today that i would like to design the product myself as compared to paying a designer to do it for me. would ILLUSTRATOR CS4 be a good enough program to use for my project? best wishes. thanks. :|


Sounds like a terrible idea.

If wanted to build an exact replica of the Eiffel Tower in my back yard, my first step would be to HIRE an architect as well as an engineer.

As R said, Illustrator does not make you a designer. It makes you a person who has a copy of Illustrator who has zero concept of Industrial Design, shoe design, prototyping, or manufacturing.
Taylor Welden

Industrial Designer

Industrial Design Portfolio

Re: new and confused (footwear)

Postby TaylorWelden » November 14th, 2012, 2:21 am

User avatar

TaylorWelden
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 916
Joined: August 30th, 2006, 4:38 pm
Location: Austin, TX.
Additionally, it seems you're already trying to cut corners by using Illustrator CS4 instead of CS6. CS4 is still a great program in the hands of an expert, but you're not an expert.

Honestly, I'm offended by your post.
Taylor Welden

Industrial Designer

Industrial Design Portfolio

Re: new and confused (footwear)

Postby NURB » November 14th, 2012, 8:08 am

User avatar

NURB
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4414
Joined: November 10th, 2005, 1:31 pm
Location: MPLS
See my signature.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Re: new and confused (footwear)

Postby victordcantu » November 14th, 2012, 10:51 am


victordcantu
step three
step three
 
Posts: 168
Joined: August 22nd, 2012, 10:27 pm
eddielozadaymailcom wrote:hello everyone,

i am new to the site and would appreciate some advice. I have just acquired a used MACBOOK PRO INTEL CORE 2 DUO/2.33 GHZ laptop and am currently working on a footwear design/product. i have just made up my mind today that i would like to design the product myself as compared to paying a designer to do it for me. would ILLUSTRATOR CS4 be a good enough program to use for my project? best wishes. thanks. :|



Hello, I'm no expert in Illustrator, or shoe design. But if you have an idea in your mind, you just need a tool to shape it. We do not know if you have technical knowledge, nobody asked you, only you crucified. If you have no money, or wishes to hire a teacher, teachers do not have to get angry, if you try to gain knowledge on your own. There are many design programs. The most popular are Illustrator and Photoshop, but not mean they are indispensable. You can start designing with vectors, but if you want to create artistic representations to levels that you will agree, then used Photoshop. I've even seen a video of Adidas professional designers, who use airbrush in his sketches.

In the Technique is the art, and vice versa
Greetings.

Re: new and confused (footwear)

Postby iab » November 14th, 2012, 11:13 am


iab
full self-realization
full self-realization
 
Posts: 1889
Joined: January 5th, 2004, 6:03 pm
TaylorWelden wrote:Additionally, it seems you're already trying to cut corners by using Illustrator CS4 instead of CS6. CS4 is still a great program in the hands of an expert, but you're not an expert.

Honestly, I'm offended by your post.


Really?

Because I am offended by your post. It makes designers sound condescending, defensive and thin-skinned. I don’t think those are good qualities for a designer.

The OP asked a harmless question about the tools of the trade. He/she wants to use the correct tool for the job. That shows a willingness to learn. That is a great quality for a designer. Do you see the difference?

If I go to a woodworking forum and ask about table saws, I would hope no one would jump down my throat about my audacity in wanting to be a wood worker.

So yes, as soon as you design something, by definition, you are a designer. It doesn’t make you a good designer, or a professional designer, or whatever qualifications you want to put to it, but you are designing. Just as soon as I cut that piece of wood with my table saw, I have entered into the realm of woodworking.

And for the record, I use CS4. I don’t have a need for 6.

Re: new and confused (footwear)

Postby victordcantu » November 14th, 2012, 11:35 am


victordcantu
step three
step three
 
Posts: 168
Joined: August 22nd, 2012, 10:27 pm
No need for more toughness in the forum. Just balance the negativity with positive contributions. Each of professionals and non-professionals have to criticize themselves, first. The ego management is important, the designer is still undervalued in the industry, in my country, no need for more scorn from colleagues.

Greetings.

Re: new and confused (footwear)

Postby TaylorWelden » November 14th, 2012, 12:56 pm

User avatar

TaylorWelden
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 916
Joined: August 30th, 2006, 4:38 pm
Location: Austin, TX.
iab wrote:
TaylorWelden wrote:Additionally, it seems you're already trying to cut corners by using Illustrator CS4 instead of CS6. CS4 is still a great program in the hands of an expert, but you're not an expert.

Honestly, I'm offended by your post.


Really?

Because I am offended by your post. It makes designers sound condescending, defensive and thin-skinned. I don’t think those are good qualities for a designer.

The OP asked a harmless question about the tools of the trade. He/she wants to use the correct tool for the job. That shows a willingness to learn. That is a great quality for a designer. Do you see the difference?

If I go to a woodworking forum and ask about table saws, I would hope no one would jump down my throat about my audacity in wanting to be a wood worker.

So yes, as soon as you design something, by definition, you are a designer. It doesn’t make you a good designer, or a professional designer, or whatever qualifications you want to put to it, but you are designing. Just as soon as I cut that piece of wood with my table saw, I have entered into the realm of woodworking.

And for the record, I use CS4. I don’t have a need for 6.


Good points. I suppose I'm commenting on the big picture here. Industrial Design is a design process in which the end goal is to solve a problem in product form, then that design to mass manufacturing, to then be sold in volume to public/private markets (generally speaking of course). Anything else is a craft or creating a piece of art.

I just get this a lot in my inbox and I get sick of it. "Hi, I'm going to be rich because I have a great idea. You are an Industrial Designer who make my idea happen. You just make it look good, that is all. I will pay you nothing, you get rich later, maybe if you're good and it works." This guy is saying this, but without even wanting to hire an industrial designer at all.

Its a complex process in which we make our livings at and this individual is making it seem like an Industrial Designer is simply someone who uses Illustrator. I spent a lot of hard earned money on my education and thousands of hours honing my abilities, and I still feel like I've got a long way to go to get to where I want to get to. Plus, they posted this on an Industrial Design forum, not an Adobe forum asking how to "draw cool stuff". Nope, not having it. This individual will likely make interesting drawings in Illustrator, which is great. But it is not Industrial Design.

I don't discredit lawyers, architects, doctors, or chefs at their professions. "I want to build a house, but the first thing I'm going to do is fire ALL the architects in the world." ... "Yo, Doctor, where did you buy that scalpel? Is it cool if I use last years model and just cut this tonsil out myself?" I don't want my profession to be discredited, that happens enough outside of Industrial Design forums.
Taylor Welden

Industrial Designer

Industrial Design Portfolio

Re: new and confused (footwear)

Postby yo » November 14th, 2012, 2:38 pm

User avatar

yo
Administration
Administration
 
Posts: 13319
Joined: January 5th, 2004, 6:57 pm
Location: SoCal
This reminds me of an old saying "Please encourage your children to read the bible, we need more atheists."

Today we have greater access to tools of all kinds; word processors (Walter Isaacson has the same copy of Word you do), music mixers, movie editing suites, and design tools. An Avid editing suite used to cost upwards of $50k all in, now you can get Final Cut for a reasonable sum, or use the free copy of iMovie. Spielberg isn't worried though.

Potentially, access to these tools has the ability to help people to appreciate the sensitivity, training, and experience it takes to design good product. In some cases it uncovers some hidden latent talent. Both are wins for the profession in my view.

So I think you both are right. We can encourage access while we advocate the value of expertise.

Re: new and confused (footwear)

Postby victordcantu » November 14th, 2012, 4:50 pm


victordcantu
step three
step three
 
Posts: 168
Joined: August 22nd, 2012, 10:27 pm
Hi Taylor, It used to be that the architects hired others to do performing arts, people with skills for that. Including other architects who specialize in that, in illustration.

The point is, if an architect, who dont dominates the art, and he wants to try to do it (for whatever reason, is commonly lack of money), is at liberty to try. And that does not mean that the architect does not respect others profession , we just have to strive to experience. If a human resources manager, sits a couple of weeks in front of a computer, trying to design anything, maybe he understand the profession of a designer, that is difficult, and only so values ​​the experience.

You're right on this, Taylor, industrial design is to solve problems, and I have a huge respect for the designers. I was about to try to study industrial design, but I felt I did not have enough capacity and gennius to deal with complex structures and assembled, because at that time, my idea about this profession, and my perception of it, started to see diagrams, disassembly of cars, engines etc ... Very complex things. That was my idea of ​​the profession. But, "Yo" was right in this, the current tools, allow us to experience things that a professional does. You can make a virtual surgery, a dressmaker could sew better than a surgeon, and that does not mean he have to grant a medical license. A surgeon can learn a minimal ability to another person, it is humility. The point, today anyone with certain skills can try a 3D software, and try to design a pen cap, also anyone can attempt to make a digital Picasso, with a few strokes in Photoshop.

In the end, I think, professionals have to look beyond what an amateur can do, try to be better. Experience and excellence will draw a clear line between an amateur and a professional.

I think the person who started this thread, did not intend to disturb the professionals, and perhaps can not pay and hire a designer, or even wants to be also a designer, he can be a singer, mechanical, and actor in his spare time. The thread started in the shoe department, and specified items of footwear. Because the shoe design is linked to fashion design, which involves artistic aspects where sometimes the inspiration and concepts are before the technique. I think the professionals, here, should be flattered, that fans come to be counseled. Best regards and my respect for all.

Go to the Next Page

Return to footwear & softgoods

©2014 Core77, Inc. All rights reserved
about | contact us | advertise | mailing list