Have you ever seen ...

First line of a catchy summer camp song…but I’m looking for a chair where the back and seat are veneer/plywood. The front edge and the top edge of veneer scrolls under the seat and over the back in a semi volutes (if viewed in cross-section).

Any pointers welcome.

Thanks

Any pointers welcome.

google; plywood veneer chairs.

Report back what you find.

This one doesn’t count.

Model No. 41 lounge chair, 1931–32
Alvar Aalto (Finnish, 1898–1976)

BTW, welcome to the boards alex.

Thanks,

Lack of sleep the other night got me to do just that. 23 google pages. And as Bono says… “Still couldn’t fine what I’m looking for.” Lots of chairs made of hydraulically pressed veneers…most bearing a strong resemblance to potato chips with metal legs.

I have in mind a design analogous to the you you found, but a side chair with 1-2" diameter curve at top and bottom. Currently in the process of making a cardboard mock-up.

Continuing to search the internet, I came across this interesting post http://www.west86th.bgc.bard.edu/notes-from-the-field/perishable-goods.html which speaks to disappearing trends and mentioned this firm in particular Perforated veneer seats, charis, settees, etc., etc. : Gardner : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Perforated veneer? Could become a thing.

Attributed to author Harley King “All things old become new again. In my youth the athletes had crew cuts and the hippies had long hair. Now the athletes have long hair and the hippies are bald”

However, most application are now used for sound dampening applications. No more Victorian seating.

Perforated veneer. I’m 64 and remember chairs like that in my grand parents dining room.

With laser cutting, that would be great for mass customization of chairs. I remember this too, I think. Maybe my grand parent’s chairs were wicker…not sure.