UL standards for wood lighting fixture?

I’ve browsed previous posts on this site and scoured the web, also studied UL 1598 quite a bit. What I still don’t know is whether or not the primary structural components of a lighting fixture, specifically a chandelier, can be made out of wood and still pass UL standards. The one part that seems to say “no” from UL 1598 is the ‘Hot wire test’ which seems to indicate that a glowing red wire is held to the structure of the fixture for 30 seconds. Does anyone have any insight into whether I have this right? It seems like it may only apply to the structure directly touching the conductors but I can’t tell for sure.

The main structure can be wood, as long as your wiring has the correct insulation and you pass heat tests (I think).

UL has a program called “preliminary investigation”. They will look at your product and documentation and tell you what you are missing and what tests you will need to pass. If you are 100% sure you will UL, it only adds a few percent more to the whole process, but can save you a lot more avoiding failing a test and having to start over. I’d call your local office and ask about it.

you should be able to use wood. Like the previous post mentioned, you have to use the correct UL approved wire. You are never going to get a straight answer from anyone, including UL, until you test it. In the end they may require you to have certain wire ways that protect the wire…for instance a threaded rode that creates the wire way. It all depends on each individual design, light source, and components used.

I often find similar products and research their UL Standards. Also you will need UL 94 I believe, basically a flammability rating on the wires and housing