6' Coffe Tables?

Alright folks,

Why are coffee tables almost always 54in wide? We have a 92in couch (long enough to lie down on) and they all tend to be too short. I made a coffee table out of a hole-less door that I stained a long while back, but it’s nearing the end of its life and I’ve been looking for a replacement. So far, the best I’ve found is Herman Miller’s Nelson bench, which comes in a 6’ length, but it’s a bit common and, for us, expensive (though the knock-offs are significantly cheaper). Does anyone else have any suggestions?

mb

The logical side of me thinks the reasoning for shorter coffee tables is that it allows easier access to the couch. For example, if you have a full length coffee table then access to the center is more restricted. Also, a lot of times a living room setting is in a U or L-shaped configurations with a couch + love seat/chair. By shortening the coffee table you allow people to move around the edges of the coffee table.

Ross,

Thanks, that’s a good point. That (and the price) pushed me to this 5’ Nelson Bench knockoff:

Herman Miller has the real deal on sale, but $202 shipped from Overstock was enough for me to give a shorter table a go…