Will these 3 chairs get me into RISD?

Pics of the 3 chairs Here: http://artbyjeremiah.blogspot.com/

I’m applying as a Freshman, just at RISD, looking towards the ID dept.
I have hundreds of drawings (mostly just sketches) for furniture and other pieces that are far more original than these three, but this is what I have managed to complete in full scale with little to no knowledge about how to actually work with the materials I’d like to work with / put anything together (I learned how to weld to create the tubular rietveld)

In short, I’d simply like to know if RISD is going to look at these pieces (along with some drawings, screenprint and blockprint work and mixed media pieces) and laugh, or if they’re going to see the potential for what I may be able to do if provided the skill set necessary to take a design from start to finish.
My background is in Art History (MA History of Art, St Andrews University-Scotland, '05) and I currently own and operate my own antique and design business, specializing in mid century furniture (PasternakAntiques.blogspot.com) Besides my interest in ID I’m also an aspiring screen/television writer, prop comic, inventor and too many other things to name…I want to do everything, but I’m also realistic and more than willing to take one step at a time.

If you click on the links at the top of my blog you can see some of my other stuff (ex. there is a really crappy paper model for a neat dining table that I designed that converts into a bench. made of a flat steel frame with a 2-piece recycled rubber top / seat and back)

Let me know what you think…am I dreaming or could RISD be a reality?

it’s more than most any other Freshman will show, you should have no problem

well, here’s the thing. You did not actually “build” the chairs, except the Rietveld/Breuer. In other words, you did not make replicas which would show your skill level when it comes to metal work, wood and your overall craftsmanship.

They are quirky/fun tagging exercises of iconic design.
I personally think they are a little disrespectful and arrogant, especially since you are just starting out in your design career. I would leave the Robot-Rietveld in your portfolio and kick out the other two.

thank you both for your replies!
i’m more than happy to hear constructive criticism, but I don’t quite understand how what I did can be seen as ‘disrespectful and arrogant’?
The steel Rietveld style chair is a homage to whom I believe to be the 2 most important designers of the early 20th century, Breuer and Rietveld (for use of material and form)
the Bertoia chair was constructed as a simple exercise to try and duplicate if not better a chair that would be out of reach for almost anyone (Douglas Homers’ Hairy Bertoia, $3000-4000)
And, the Noodle Chair took a Breuer chair which can be bought at nearly every Goodwill and Salvation Army throughout the country for less than $5 and gave it a new life.
I really used what I had lying around. These chairs are as much about the process as the final result and are only a miniscule sampling of what I am capable of…

I should also note, I don’t want to be a furniture maker/craftsman, or else I would be applying to the furniture making dept. I want to design. I think this can mean both creating new pieces AND updating classics. I guess purists would disagree with me in that sense.

Please, keep the feedback coming!

I think they will appreciate your knowledge of design history, and the fact that you’ve actually built something.

I had neither when I went into design school.

I do think you should show them some original works as well… I presume you have this in sketch form?

I agree with bepster

Focusing on a reproduction might be a better idea since you are starting your design career and that you have a limited knowledge of design in the beginning.

I should also note, I don’t want to be a furniture maker/craftsman, or else I would be applying to the furniture making dept. I want to design

Model making is an important part of the design process used for validation of proportion ergonomics and so on. Sooner or later you will find yourself doing models whether you like it or not.

how what I did can be seen as ‘disrespectful and arrogant’?

Redesign of design classics, in my opinion, are interesting when there is a reflection, a criticism or have a formal interest behind it. What you did is only to put chairs in disguise. Also, the use of material used for the Breuer chair is not very appealing. What you did on the Bertoia could be interesting if you would have made a frame that goes along with your intentions.

I think it is interesting to show that you are experimenting by yourself. If would also be interesting to show your process by showing sketches and preliminary models you did along with your final design. Keep doing stuff, thats how you get better.

I thought RISD had a list of things they wanted you do and send to them (a drawing of a bike maybe).

RISD does require a pretty specific set of drawings. I hope you have read the application…

in case you haven’t :

“Drawings
Three drawing samples are required of all candidates. Each drawing must be done using graphite pencil on a sheet of white paper measuring 16 x 20”; other drawing materials should not be used. The first drawing must represent a bicycle; the second drawing may be of any subject or situation but your finished drawing must utilize both sides of the sheet of drawing paper; for the third drawing, begin with a sheet of paper, alter the form of this paper in any way you wish and then make a drawing of this altered form. You may approach these three drawings in any way you wish. For example, your drawings may be realistic or abstract; you may choose to draw the object alone or place it in a situation; you may draw the whole object or only a portion of it, etc. Each drawing must be signed and dated, and if necessary, should be treated to prevent smudging in handling. Each drawing should be folded in half and half again so that it will fit in your application folder in the Admissions Office. On the outside of each folded drawing print your full name."

http://www.risd.edu/apply_fresh.cfm#tests

I never did the required drawings and still got in…

hey jeremiah. i went to risd and ended up graduating from the furniture program. i think it’s more difficult for someone who did get in to give advice than someone who did not, but from what i can see you’re already a bit more advanced than most of the people i went to school with were at the time. are you definitely set on starting as a freshman? i think you have a shot at entering as a sophomore transfer student if you’re interested. also, don’t count out the furniture program just yet. it’s not necessarily just a “maker’s” curriculum - to think you won’t be “designing” in that department couldn’t be any more wrong. the class sizes are smaller than the ID department, there’s more one-on-one interaction with teachers and the reputation is tough to compete with.

my portfolio advice for you would be that the pictures of the furniture stuff are terrible. the angle is all wrong, the background is distracting, and the lighting does not do any of the pieces justice. all the slick product photography you see on the internet is not difficult to achieve, give those another try.

i think you’re in good shape, keep doing what you’re doing.

I think as long as you can pay the tuition and have some basic skills, most schools will take you in. I know graduates from design schools who can’t find any work. A high profile program is no guarantee someone will be any good in the real world where there are other factors outside of just having design skills.

Some schools hire part time teachers who wouldn’t cut it in the real world and are there because they are either burnt out or in between jobs.
In the end it’s all a business. It makes more sense to pass you than flunk you or keep you out. It’s 5 figures of tuition revenue they’d be losing a semester per rejected student. If the capacity is there chances are you’d get in. Most students don’t have any real portfolio going in outisde of your usual figure drawings and basic art stuff. I think you’re ahead of the game if you are showing actual furniture items.

The real weeding out usually happens a couple years into the program.

I think the ZoE chair could be used if you wanted to communicate it as an experimental design of the seat. However to stay original and not look “disprespectful and arrogant”, maybe generate concept sketches of different styles of chairs that use the same seat texture. This way in your portfolio spread you can have the left be the chair and the right be the concept sketches. Then, you can communicate how your experiment helped spark your creativity.

“Drawings
Three drawing samples are required of all candidates. Each drawing must be done using graphite pencil on a sheet of white paper measuring 16 x 20”; other drawing materials should not be used. The first drawing must represent a bicycle; the second drawing may be of any subject or situation but your finished drawing must utilize both sides of the sheet of drawing paper; for the third drawing, begin with a sheet of paper, alter the form of this paper in any way you wish and then make a drawing of this altered form. You may approach these three drawings in any way you wish. For example, your drawings may be realistic or abstract; you may choose to draw the object alone or place it in a situation; you may draw the whole object or only a portion of it, etc. Each drawing must be signed and dated, and if necessary, should be treated to prevent smudging in handling. Each drawing should be folded in half and half again so that it will fit in your application folder in the Admissions Office. On the outside of each folded drawing print your full name."

You have to do this to get an interview for a design course??? What has drawing a bicycle got to do with being creative? I’d say forget that Uni mate try and sell your own stuff, what are they gonna teach you? how to do a better drawing of a bike?