Furniture design MFA questions

I am new here and looking for a MFA program in furniture design.

Any school has this degree ? and equiped with CNC?
I love CNC furniture and sustainable topics!!!

Thank you guys!!!

Welcome,

tell us more about your background and the type of furniture you like

thank you!: )

I learned furniture and interior design in my BS and wood science and technology in MS. I have design and research background in science and industrial wood product, as well as background of sculpture, graphic design and related ID. Recently, my interests are in sustainable design and CNC.
I want a creative level of MFA to teach design.

Thank you ~ :slight_smile:

that’s helpful, are you more interested in:

1. hand made, one of a kind, work of art type furniture
  2. limited production, expensive - highly trendy furniture including table top
  3. mass production for the office
  4. mass production for the home, including table top

Thank you : ) so much!!!
Yes,I worked on them in my projects. I love them all!!!

And I think 2 and 4 are more close to my interests now :

2. limited production, expensive - highly trendy furniture including table top

1. mass production for the home, including table top

then I’d suggest the schools in London or Sweden, as a start.

thanks!! :slight_smile:

But I want a school in US…:frowning: sad

most MFA furniture programs in the U.S. are going to be woodworker, studio artist, one of a kind furniture structured curriculum.

Start with these, in no particular order:

Rhode Island School of Design
Rochester Institute of Technology
Savannah College of Art and Design
Minnapolis College of Art and Design
San Diego State
University of Wisconsin

Did I leave any out?

You’ll have to investigate which ones will suit your goals yourself.

Thank you ! pdog

One more question :slight_smile:

When I was doing my MS in wood science and technology, I did a lot of literature review, experiments, data analysis and thesis writing…and certainly defense….in fact, a boring process for me….not very creative.

For MFA in these schools above, how students graduate?
Thank you!!!

To my knowledge, U of Wisconsin Stout, if that is the school you are referring to, does not offer furniture design. I am currently attending the school and they offer interior design and ID, which I am currently enrolled in, and they offer a furniture design class, but not an MFA in Furniture Design. I looked on their website to make sure.

My father went to Stout - a million years ago. Still a good school.

Because of him, I am very interested in wood.

He could have been the next Maloof, but chose to be an educator. As it turns out I am now the CNC guy with a love for wood.

Not to pun, but to carve your niche requires lots of examples. Think about it . Today you can showcase your work easier than any other generation!!! Just be productive is the best advice.

I am going from memory, but I believe James Krenov wanted to be remembered as “Oak and wire Brushed” Please correct me if I am quoting another wood worker.

I love CNC too, so quick and easy…I know Gatech have really nice CNC shop.
many other schools have CNC too

I still want to know how students graduate from MFA programs.

Sounds very different from MS. I dont like spending a long time writing thesis, but like creating new designs to the shows.

For MFA in these schools above, how students graduate?

This is where YOU should contact each of the schools and research their cirriculums.

Each school will be different. In general, MFA programs will require a some sort of thesis project that may or may not be supported by a written thesis that you will have to present and defend to a committee. In the case of my program(Minneapolis College of Art and Design) all MFA’s-painters, photographers, print makers, furniture designers, etc-had to pass a mid-program review after their first year. At the end of the 2nd year you produce a 25-30 page written thesis supporting your studio work. You then present to a thesis commitee who decides if you pass or fail.

Again, the specifics of how you pass is less important for you now. If you are serious, start contacting the admissions departments, request application materials, talk to their advisors. They can explain better how their programs are structured and what they focus on.

Some important questions to ask them:

How many students studying furniture in the MFA program? if the program is small, like mine was, you won’t have a strong group of peers for support, camaraderie.

Is there a focus on materials? If you are interested in exploring lots of different materials, then a wood-focused program may not be a good fit.

Is the instruction focused on one-of-a-kind studio furniture or industrial designed, mass produced furniture?

What guest lecturers have spoke at the school?

Is the program structured so that, as a grad student, you get teaching experience? Not all programs offer that opportunity.

BTW, cjs33139, I was referring to University of Wisconsin in Madison. (?) I really like what this guy is doing there:

Furnituremaker-good luck on your research, let us know what you find out!

Thank you ! pdog, no_spec, and all other guys gave answers in this topic!

I found a lot in different of the Furniture prorams and I love the schools you listed:
Rhode Island School of Design
Rochester Institute of Technology
Savannah College of Art and Design
Minnapolis College of Art and Design
San Diego State
University of Wisconsin
And Umass!

Others with similar interests are listed:

http://www.furnituresociety.org/frames/fresourc/home.shtml

Yes, art is a big part of most of these programs. Some of them focus more on manufacturing and science.
I love these programs and try to be somewhere among them.
Thanks for all!! : )
Happy new year 2008!

Kendall College of art and design, Grand Rapids, MI

Savannah College of Art and Design Furniture Design .

just posted under another topic but asking again here (you can see how anxious I am).

Trying to find a good European/international master’s program (in English) that won’t suck me dry of my mulas. Preferably in or relating to furniture or soft product design but open to any suggestions.

my interest lies in soft product/textiles, but also new materials as well.

Thanks ya’ll~