Close

Postby Kung Fu Jesus » December 21st, 2007, 11:36 am

Kung Fu Jesus
full self-realization
full self-realization

i wonder if that company taps the large amish community nearby?
"Furniture that is too obviously designed is very interesting, but too often belongs only in museums." - MBJ

Postby Lmo » January 1st, 2008, 1:34 pm

Lmo

Based on my observation that there were two buggies, with the horses tied nearby, that there are at least two Amish workers there.

Swartzendruber operated (then) in an interesting manner; the craftsman assigned to a particular customer would interview them, personally fabricate each piece of furniture, and would oversee the delivery of the product to the customer's home.
Lew Morris
"It's what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

New to the boards? Please read before you post ->Discussion Boards Posting Standards

Postby JLdesign » March 26th, 2008, 9:29 pm

JLdesign
step three
step three

Kendall grad in 2004 here. I didn't know you were one too Kungfu!

Kungfu touched on most of the major players in the area. West Michigan has a fairly good job market for ID. I got out after graduation to work for a furniture company in Chicago though, and now I'm in NE Wisconsin working for another one.

Of places worth mentioning: Izzy Design (contract furniture), Curious ID (consultant firm), and Whirlpool has a large opperation in Benton Harbor (by the IN border). I think Atwood folded a few years ago. I work with a guy that used to work for Milsco in Milwaukee, and he said Atwood folded and his company bought them to add a boat division to their opperations. I think Trent Eckoff (sp?) might still be there in fact. Not sure of who else would be though.

I would highly recomend that you pound the pavement at Neocon in Chicago, and even High Point if you want to get accquainted with the furniture market. I had great luck approaching companies there and speaking to marketing or design managers if they were present. I got my first job after meeting one company at High Point, and my new one after meeting someone at Neocon. I also had some companies at Neocon tell me they would give me some consideration for accepting contract work too.

In my experience though, most companies are looking for contract designers, not in house people. Larger companies like Steelcase, Hayworth, and their subsidies will take people on staff, but most small companies (especially those relying upon mostly foreign manuf. or strickly importing) simply don't have the workload to keep a designer on staff.

Postby Kung Fu Jesus » March 28th, 2008, 10:48 am

Kung Fu Jesus
full self-realization
full self-realization

las vegas furniture market is eclipsing highpoint. my company is staging their last showing there next month. we have already secured a showroom in vegas and will also be showing there in july.

vegas is planning to force the issue more by moving it's dates to coincide with the highpoint market in a year or two.

as much as i love north carolina, highpoint is a craphole. yea baby, VEGAS!
"Furniture that is too obviously designed is very interesting, but too often belongs only in museums." - MBJ

Previous

Return to furniture