Mercedes design direction

Is it just me, or is Mercedes design in a complete rut. Judging by the newly released EQA, they seems pretty lost for a clear vision and art direction, especially when it comes to designing an electric car. Thoughts?

I think 95% is pretty consistent with where they have been going for a few years now. I would question the grille. I feel like the 2013 Dodge Dart was the first place I saw this…why go back to it now?

It didn’t sell well, but I thought the Dart was a nice little design, especially the back.

Hm I like it. It does seem to borrow features from the Dodge Dart (not a bad thing), but I also see elements of an emerging organic design language that Mercedes has been doing since the 2010 Biome concept. I love how they transposed the wide open ‘cheeks’ to the electric SUV, it is just organic enough without overdoing it. The sides are a bit empty but less is sometimes better. Like a few other features, the main angel-type cutout on the front is just a tiny bit off, in that had they moved it 5mm upwards…just some room for incremental improvements here and there. But if I look at what an electric car needs to be like in this day and age this is pretty much it design-wise, except for the techno-gaudy blue LED-style interior touches.

Maybe the question applies more to BMW, but that is another topic. At least they are experimenting.

Yes, always thought the Dart looked neat and controlled. My biggest problem with the Mercedes EV’s, like the EQC, is how they havn’t really managed to find a unique signature and identity for their electric cars. In real life the EQC looks rather bad, due to heavy surfacing lacking in tension and elegance which makes the car look dumpy (kinda makes sense, as it is really, really heavy). But the worst part is probably the treatment of the grill and lights, which is much more neatly solved on the Dart. It’s the missing control on the details that screws up the details, like shutlines and curves.

I believe MB are now in a ‘creaseless’ design direction, which has been producing some very nice looking, highly sculpted autos that don’t rely on the common interplay of facets, planes, lines. The CLA was the first car to exhibit this, but it is well executed on the AMG-GT. This EQA seems like it is 90% a typical car platform, not a unique electric model.

I believe MB are now in a ‘creaseless’ design direction, which has been producing some very nice looking, highly sculpted autos that don’t rely on the common interplay of facets, planes, lines. The CLA was the first car to exhibit this, but it is well executed on the AMG-GT. This EQA seems like it is 90% a typical car platform, not a unique electric model.

Could be worse. Could be doing a BMW ugly grille thing.

R

• one!