Electric Cars

Great video, thanks for posting… One of my friends who is very into EVs and PHEVs who has a PHEV Kia Niro was very dubious of the ID4 due to some of the articles on it. He test drove one this weekend and bought it. It is a little too big for us. If the ID3 was on sale in the US we would probably have one already.

Something I noticed looking at the EU numbers is that VW is selling a lot of vehicle, but spread over many models. Tesla is selling a lot of 3s a few of the rest of their line. That broad approach might just give VW the advantage they need, the same with GM (in a few years).

Android vs Apple iPhone, same strategy.

Except that the strategy has always worked in cars!

GM vs Ford in the 1920s. Same thing. :rofl:

History says yes.

EV6 and Ioniq 5 US specs out, pretty respectable range!

I have a question about range for electric, how much bs is it? Same as mpg? If they say 300 miles, what should I actually expect?

oops, I posted those in the wrong thread… derp. I meant to add them to the EV discussion. From friends that have EVs it seems like they numbers are done under “optimal” conditions, just like MPG. I get they need to make it consistent, but perhaps that could have been done in a more real world way. A lot of the actual reviews will tell you what range they are actually getting. Varies of course, but seems to be 20 miles or so off… sometimes they go longer.

moved to the correct topic :slight_smile:

Range is largely effected by temperature. Hot weather requires cooling that saps some range. Cold weather, below 32° F or 0° C reduces capacity by about 20%. Also, the battery has to be heated to avoid permanent damage, so the car will be running a heater all the time at those temperatures.

Take a Nissan Leaf for example. AVEQ calculates that its average range decreases by about 25% at -15°C, and about 45% once you hit -25°C. Comparable models currently on the market show similar results.

Coming soon: Chrysler Airflow. Looks OK.

I think I know why I have a bias against EVs looking at the marketing images from this. Not one shot shows the car moving, but they include this one:

It’s not an autonomous car, but these two are kicking back and clickin’ apps. Can we just have a basic EV that is centred on driving please? A Fiat Panda EV.

Exactly, Ray. I want to just do this, except without gas.

If I want to poke apps, I’d rather do it with a drink in hand on a patio in a lounge chair. Not in a car.

You forgot the Lexus sport concept. They need this in production.

It’s definitely pulling from the FT1 a bit as far as proportions go, but that’s a great thing.

Actually, I didn’t forget it :wink:

WOW I can forgive all the years of ‘L-Finesse’ after seeing that Lexus. Really like that ‘intake’ toward the rear. What’s it cooling tho, batteries?

I was right, the Lexus do look good if you take the grille off.