Close

Re: Modern car design is bumming me out

Postby slippyfish » April 23rd, 2017, 9:05 pm

slippyfish
full self-realization
full self-realization

Leave the G-Wagen alone and all will be well.
I followed a C-class coupe (?) this afternoon with temporary plates, and made an effort to catch up and see the badge. It was bulging in the right places, with rear exit/diffuser details like the AMG GT, and a pinner set of tail lights. There is a sum of elements that are all working for M-B in this zeitgeist. BMW by comparison seems to be milking the last of Bangle, and Audi, the last of Da Silva.
“Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy."

http://www.superformer.com
http://www.coroflot.com/skhid

Postby Mr-914 » April 24th, 2017, 7:14 am

Mr-914

This weekend, I was looking at a Honda Civic HB and threw up a little in my mouth. Soichiro Honda must be rolling in his pagoda. I think Lexus and Honda are the two worst offenders right now.

I think Audi is a little lost right now. Overall, the cars are simple, but they have weird hard edge detailing. They are like a square Lexus. BMW is OK. I think when they took the Bangle out, they sucked the life out of their designs too. They need to find a way to make them fresh and well detailed, not just well detailed.

When I saw the latest MB C class, I was ready to go the dealer. Too bad there is no RWD version in Canada :( AWD is just too innefficient.

I agree with Ditullo's comments though, everyone was rushing towards many small details and flame surfaces, etc. MB said, 'let's step back, sculpt an incredible form and then just hit the details we need to.' It's retro in approach, rather than execution. And whenever you zig when others are zagging, it has the potential to put you in the lead.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby Cyberdemon » April 24th, 2017, 8:52 am

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization

yo wrote:
Cyberdemon wrote:That New MB feels like a Jr designer got his hand on some Sub-D modeling software and said "look heres a car".

Designers said the same thing about this in the late 90s:

The B5 and all of the Audi's from the late 90's-early 2K's were all very basic, but I'd say so was just about everything else at that time that wasn't a supercar. To be fair, the original B5 came out in 1994, which means it probably started development in ~92? It stuck around for a while but I'd argue it was probably softer and cleaner than the Mid 90's BMW's which were the struggling transition point between the 80's and the perfectly proportioned E39/E46.

I like the new MB stuff a lot. Saw a new C43 coupe last night on the road, and for the price point that thing has one of the nicest butts shy of a 911. MB has an old man stigma but I'm willing to admit that my VW rides too harsh and sign up for one. :lol:

Postby slippyfish » April 24th, 2017, 12:54 pm

slippyfish
full self-realization
full self-realization

Cyberdemon wrote:I like the new MB stuff a lot. Saw a new C43 coupe last night on the road, and for the price point that thing has one of the nicest butts shy of a 911.

That's the one I saw. Sad to see it go, but love to watch it leave. Maybe we should use the term 'aft-section'. :oops:
“Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy."

http://www.superformer.com
http://www.coroflot.com/skhid

Postby Variant » September 12th, 2017, 9:39 am

Variant
step three
step three

Mr-914 wrote:Image

Jesus fuck, that's bad. I don't even pay attention to road cars anymore (despite getting into design BECAUSE OF CARS) because it's all just misguided horseshit. There's literally nothing in my budget that I would spend the money on. Hasn't been in years. Auto design is a joke at this point.

Even supercars look like bad P-shop jobs:

Art and science is fucking dead. I just want to make music and cook at this point. Worst time in history to be a designer, IMO.

Postby Mr-914 » September 12th, 2017, 11:12 am

Mr-914

I think Fords are great right now. VW is non-offense, but good. Cadillac ATS is great. I think they took a step back with the new CTS. Not all is bad.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby Variant » September 12th, 2017, 11:32 am

Variant
step three
step three

Mr-914 wrote:I think Fords are great right now. VW is non-offense, but good. Cadillac ATS is great. I think they took a step back with the new CTS. Not all is bad.

Actually, the VW XL1 was one of the RARE cars of late that impressed me, so far as execution goes. I could do without all the masturbatory "design language" pissed all over it, but it could run the numbers as a proof of concept. Something few companies can pull off these days.

Of course, they had to fuck it all up by being a bunch of sinister assbags and pull the dieselgate crap. Humans are just complete selfish trash at this point in history. Hold on while I put lead in the water. Fuck the rules. Derp :roll:

I've heard good things about Cadillacs but I'm not a 60 year old man, nor can I afford that shit... and if I could, I'd buy a boat and still drive my shitty old Ford Focus which I don't like, but I do like because it still works and it's paid off, so I guess I do like it, sort of, but I don't.

I miss my Lotus. :(

Postby Variant » September 12th, 2017, 12:07 pm

Variant
step three
step three

Mr-914 wrote:Chris Bangle said in an interview that they only really have +/- 1.5cm space to be sculptural and meet the cost/aerodynamic efficiency that is demanded in contemporary cars. Therefore, they might not have quite the freedom that we think.

Chris Bangle is full of shit. Frontal area and Cd trade off 1 for 1, so if you don't package a car like utter garbage, you can compromise on Cd if need be (however aerodynamically efficient shapes go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back to the Tropfenwagen). Let engineers do their jobs, asshole. Go fold paper and pick your favorite crayons.

Fucking gas mileage is still the same unimpressive ~35 MPG as it was in the '70s anyway. Try hogging some bullshit weight out of your cars. It's another option. Trade up motorsport proven passive safety for 42 airbags... or just market the fact to your buyers that if they can afford a goddamn $60,000 luxo barge, they can pay for fucking gas. Enlighten them that they don't care. Hire Trump to sell it. He's made a career of it. Coal's coming back, kids!

As you can tell, I'm a huge Bangle fan. :lol:

Previous

Return to transportation