Close

Re: Suggestions for replacing a Honda Element

Postby AFonder » March 10th, 2017, 11:36 am

AFonder

Attention to anyone interested in the Element, Rain wrote an exciting announcement post yesterday—Core77 now has an interview scheduled with Honda Chief Designer (and Honda Element interior designer!) Jose Wyszogrod. He's pooling for questions our audience may have for the designer in the comment feed of the post. Here's a link in case anyone's interested in asking Jose any questions! http://www.core77.com/posts/62919/Honda-Element-Lovers-Send-Us-Your-Questions-for-Our-Interview-With-the-Designer
Last edited by AFonder on March 10th, 2017, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby engelhjs » March 10th, 2017, 12:17 pm

engelhjs
step four
step four

Cyberdemon wrote:The Renegade is spunky but very tiny. The new Compass is a tweener between that and the Cherokee. Jeeps are very hit or miss on reliability also. Cheap to repair, but my wife's Cherokee had about 5 recalls in the 3 years of ownership and plenty of rattles, squeaks, and a terrible shifting automatic transmission. Lot's of content per dollar though.

The Volvo XC60 was just announced which looks gorgeous - that should be state-side this year - but will probably mimic pricing of the X3 putting it into the low $50's once you check a box or two.

I'm not a fan of Jeeps because of reliability and ride quality. A hardtop, extended wrangler would actually be kind of perfect if they didn't ride as rough as Tom Waits' vocal chords. I'm curious to see pricing on the new XC60 as well as what that does to prices on the remaining 2017s out there. I love the V60 Cross Country wagon, which is practically the exact same car as the soon-to-be-previous generation XC60. A new V60, hopefully along with the Cross Country variation, is supposed to be announced this year, too.
Jeff Engelhardt
Industrial Designer - Footwear & Softgoods
Giro Sport Design
Santa Cruz, CA
http://www.jeff-engelhardt.com

Suggestions for replacing a Honda Element

Postby engelhjs » March 13th, 2017, 9:37 am

engelhjs
step four
step four

I really wish Land Rovers didn't come with the unfortunate side effects of, ya know, being Land Rovers. I'm not sure why you'd pay so much for a car that's inevitably inside a dealer service garage half the time, but minus some of the unnecessary exterior decorations they're doing really nice work in the "SUV-that-doesn't-look-like-every-other-SUV-category."

Jeff Engelhardt
Giro Sport Design
Santa Cruz, CA

Postby yo » March 13th, 2017, 9:58 am

yo
Administration
Administration

agreed, I think this new one is great. Not a fan of the current Range Rover, but the predecessor was an excellent design as was the Range Rover Sport and LR3. Really nice language.

This new one takes the language and almost runs it through a ship's arc filter. The plan view has some incredible long arcs. So few cars have continuous lines that run from to back right now, instead preferring a sea of fragmented surfaces. This is a breath of fresh air. There are 3 lines that run front to back. The base of the green house is uninterrupted by any kinks or jogs. No odd lines on the c-pillar. I can forgive the cliche jogs on the headlamps and tail lamps as well as the oversized side vent decoration. I could use a cleaner, bolder wheel. Overall it is a winner in my opinion.

Postby engelhjs » March 13th, 2017, 10:14 am

engelhjs
step four
step four

yo wrote:So few cars have continuous lines that run from to back right now, instead preferring a sea of fragmented surfaces. This is a breath of fresh air. There are 3 lines that run front to back. The base of the green house is uninterrupted by any kinks or jogs. No odd lines on the c-pillar.

This is exactly what does it for me. Find the three or four lines that define the form, not the 18. The Velar is a grown up Evoque, a design that has held up really well so far, too.

Compare that with the nonsense like the previous gen Honda CR-V, and it's why I hate most SUVs out there today.
Jeff Engelhardt
Giro Sport Design
Santa Cruz, CA

Previous

Return to transportation