What is BMW doing?

we aint so progressive up hear in da north. or maybe we have better taste as to not want to own this things…

R-Line Tiguan = budget SQ5…?

Another cool thing that we won’t get is the Golf R Wagon. The US likes crossovers - handling and visibility be damned. Such a bummer. I saw a new BMW X4 M, in turquoise parked at our building visitor spot the other day - can’t understand how people make these choices.

I didn’t;t even know they made a R version of eh Golf Wagon… like the Rs3 and S3 hatch/wagon… we just don’t get it. I’m happy we have the 5 door Golf R hatch. My wife is loving hers! … and by my wife, I mean I borrow it a lot…

I’d like a GTi wagon. The R is too much power and AWD is inefficient. Although, it would make winter driving more fun.

Don’t be so Canadian Ray! :laughing: I made the mistake of driving the R and GTI back to back…

I don’t think it’s Canadian. Canadians (at least the French ones) seem attracted to the cheapest car possible (Mitsubishi Mirage, no AC) or something with a German badge.

I really miss my Miata. 185 tires and 115 hp. I felt every move. As I’ve said before, I want a 4 door RWD sedan with 185 tires and 115 hp:)

Mazda? Fiat? Mercedes SL? Certainly doesn’t look like a BMW. Not a terrible looking car, just totally all wrong in proportion (long nose, short overhangs) for the z4 and lots of really weird surfaces and bits going on.

First z4 was really nice and the last one I think was one of the nicest hard top convertibles out there.

ugh.

R

So. Many. Vents.

Could the proportions RK mentions have something to do with the co-development of the Toyota Supra?

The first gen Z3 Coupe hardtop still kills me, especially in M version. There’s a silver one sitting at the German auto shop up the street next to a Gallardo and a green 911 and it totally looks the part.

Hmmm, definitely not intended for me. I loved the quirky uniqueness and proportions of the first z4. I thought the second was very sleek and well executed but it lost a lot of the personality of the first. This one is like an all caps email. Every little bit is just shouting for my attention. BMW used to have some of the shortest overhangs, especially the front overhang (just look at the z3!). This one seems puffy in pictures. I’ll have to check it out in person.

100% yes! So weird, but so cool.

EDIT- also, I think most ragtops look terrible, and this fixes the problem nicely :wink:

R

Also, just because this might be nicest car BMW has made in the last 40 years.

R

Always nice looking at that Z8. Nice history to that shape too. Rarely seen in the wilds.

The quirkiness of that hardtop Z3 reminds me a little of what the Harold did to his Jaguar XK-E. If I ever get one of those Z3 Coupes (which is not completely far-fetched as its one of the car-things that my wife and I agree on) I’m getting vanity plates HRLDMDE

Like button on that one! :slight_smile:

Also, side note, when I first saw Harold and Maude when I was younger I thought how depressing it was to schedule and end date to your life… now that I’m older I kind of get it… depressing thought, but happy Friday!

This and that early 200’s Aston Vantage have got to be Henrik Fisker’s best work. The z8 is a thing of beauty to me. The interior got a bit too retro, but it is still fantastic… also z3 coupe has aged so well. Are we getting old (as in stuff was better in my day!) or did we live through the second golden age of car design?

Are we getting old (as in stuff was better in my day!) or did we live through the second golden age of car design?
[/quote]

Yes and yes.

R

The Z8 is one of my all-time favorites from BMW. That and the E46 M3 in Laguna Seca Blue with the cinnamon interior.

While I can always wax nostalgic about old BMW’s I’m not put off by their current designs. The M2 is great looking (although I don’t love their new theme of connecting the kidney grilles, but realize that all of the sensing hardware they are putting in eventually needs to go somewhere), the new M5 looks perfect to me with the exception of the soft bottom edge of the tail light and the shift knob, and I think the Z4 looks solid in a day and age when there are very few competitors in the hairdresser car space.

I almost convinced my wife that I should get an E46 M3 recently since they are appreciating in value these days, but clearly she was not sold.

That Z4 is a hot mess. I thought the last one was boring, but in person was a beautiful car. Hopefully, the photos don’t do this justice either.

I do think that 1997 (Mk IV Golf)-2014 (when many automakers went off the rails, ie Lexus, Acura, Nissan) was a golden age. Today, so many cars either don’t try at all or try way too much.

I’ve never been a BMW guys (though there are certain models that I would consider going to the dark side for if the right one came across my path!)… but many of you know I’ve been an Audi guy for a long time… yet there isn’t a car in the current Audi line up I would buy. A friend of mine told me he was considering an A5 Sportback and I felt obligated to put the together for him :slight_smile:

We can consider the first Z series works of art. A friend of mine drives the first Z3, it is still a nice car. The Z8 reminds me of the Miura in approach.
The second gen. Z4 definitely still captured the spirit of the original one, and the new concept was a nice spin-off but when somebody said ’ let’s adopt some features of the new MX5’ and engineering came in the whole surfacing philosophy was lost. A BMW Z series needs the long nose, short overhangs and overall upward and strong stance as well as some unique proportioning and detailing in the lighting setup.