ELIO affordable efficient Transportation

From the Elio website:

Is Elio a car or a motorcycle?
According to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) “Motorcycle” means a motor vehicle with motive power having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground. So if it is less than four wheels it is a motorcycle. > But what do you see when you look at the Elio? Fully enclosed, power windows, wiper blades, steering wheel, gas and brake pedals… you be the judge.

Tell it to the CHP.

I added the color emphasis. I think this is a very misleading statement. In California, if it has three wheels it is a “motorcycle”. As such, the operator is required to wear a helmet … which Elio disclaims (see map below). I’m sure Elio must be aware of this if they have attempted to sell one of their vehicles here.

To operate a motorcycle in California you must pass both a written, and practical skills riding test (administered at the DMV) to prove that you can safely operate a motorcycle. This “skills” riding test must be taken on a two-wheeled motorcycle - why? Because the “M” endorsement is for all types of motorcycles, including three-wheelers and motorcycles fitted with side cars.

You may recall a few years ago (2006) that our former Governator, Arnold Schwarzenegger, following an accident while riding his Harley-sidecar rig, was cited for illegally operating a motor vehicle without the proper endorsement. When a staff aide was questioned, her response was that she believed that only a basic “C” class license was required to operate a motorcycle with sidecar attached… .

See> Schwarzenegger rode motorcycle illegally

From the Elio website:

Does my state law require me to wear a helmet?

Most of them do not. Please take a look at the PDF here for your current state laws.

What is misleading is that this map has been modified to indicate that helmet use is not required in California, along with nineteen other states, and the District of Columbia. In fact, these States are governed by what is called the “universal helmet law” which does require helmet use while operating a motorcycle. I would also point out that the States of Illinois and Iowa do not require helmet use (Elio indicates that they do).

See > Motorcycles

Not to put too much of a point on it… … . :sunglasses: