Volvo Concepts 2013

Agreed. It is fantastic in my opinion. I’m looking forward to the 5 door interpretation.

RE design language, I think the most successful languages are descriptive, not prescriptive, but if you have something that is working, stick with it for a bit. In this case they just released the coupe concept. As a follow up statement so soon, it makes sense for the cars to be variants of one another vs different designs in the same language.

Win. Though, I wouldn’t even let it hang down that far; slice it off with the bumper cut.

Thanks.
I was actually slightly worried I’d get complaints about my changes. :laughing:

I tried slicing it off with the upper bumper edge but the vertical portion seemed too short and made no sense in keeping (imo).

I did attempt emailing a Volvo PR head (only public email I could find) to get their opinion on my version and received no response.

Now the wagon. I really hope these aren’t diluted too much in production. Don’t seem too ambitious, but I’m no expert.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/volvo-concept-estate-teaser/full/#photo-2441646

Clever reveal. I want it already. P1800ES-ish.

I find it interesting that Volvo seems to invoke other Nordic brands in their concepts, to the point of trying to ride on other’s success. Trying to enforce that “we’re still swedish, not chinese” perhaps? I’m guessing you’ve seen the “Made by Sweden” Zlatan and Steve Angelo commercials…

POC - swedish ski gear http://www.carbodydesign.com/media/2014/01/04-Volvo-Concept-XC-Coupe-Interior-Layout-Rendering-01.jpg

Snohetta - Norwegian starchitects http://www.carbodydesign.com/media/2014/01/03-Volvo-Concept-XC-Coupe-09.jpg

Stutterheim - Swedish raincoats http://www.autoblog.com/photos/volvo-concept-estate-teaser/full/#photo-2441641

Linas Matkasse - Swedish food delivery service
Bring - Nordic version of DHL

I don’t mean this as being something bad, I wish all these brands success, it’s just interesting to see all the colabs they’ve got going (assuming they are colabs).

Chinese automobiles don’t exactly evoke any feelings Volvo would like to be identified with.

The Stutterheim collab is pretty cool, you can contact them and ask for a custom car raincoat/cover for whatever vehicle you drive.

I hope the production variants stay true to their concepts, it’d be a good looking lineup.

They are still Swedish. Ford never closed down the engineering and design centres in Sweden. I think the institutional knowledge and experience were the biggest assets in Geely’s aquisition of the brand.

Autoblog has the wagon up. This language is looking really good.

I agree. Make it Volvo!

If they make it, it’s my next car. Simple as that.

Volvo is awesome. Nice and timeless. No wonder I like the Ford Flex as well as Volvos, I just read about the Flex designer coming over from Volvo.

Nice. Interior a bit too glossy and busy imo. If they make it, I hope they make a 5-door as well. Not for myself, but for the sake of business.

I really like it, and can see it as a production model (perhaps without the panoramic roof). I agree that they need a five door though.

I love it- and if the price was reasonable would be right there in line. Sadly, the V60 is beyond my budget, so it could be a while…

This has turned out jolly good. The interior shows the scandinavian luxury just right and they ditched at least a little chrome.

Now get it built!

I had two 480 Turbos and would love to get back into a Volvo!
(Could they get a competitive Diesel ready, as well?)

mo-i

I give in… These are hot! :smiley:

RE: New XC 90 → what happened? Is Ingenlath already out the door? Or did they photocopy the interior
designs on a 80ies Xerox machine?

XC Concept dashboard

New XC 90 production dashboard

Also, why does the side view look like a mixture out of Dodge Durango and VW Tuareg? This is heading into
the wrong direction. The decor laden exterior caters to the taste of people who would want to have a big honking
V8. The ones even thinking of buying a big SUV with a 4banger and FWD would want to have the styling of the
concept cars to go with that.

I hope they can mend it as I’d hate to see Volvo go.

mo-i

They gave it to the Chinese to do the production version.

I think the outside looks like a Subaru Forester. Job done!