Clay Modeling Questions

Thanks for the responses guys. Though you’ve all been very helpful, my question I was wanting must not have been so clear.

What I’d like is basically someone to explain to me (quickly) the different reasons to have X,Y,Z tools. For example, lets use this Kolb Catalog. I have a feeling that different slicks are just used depending on the shape of your model, and that also stays consistent with steels. My question is particularly focused on the rakes and wires (pages 20-23). I think this information would be valuable in the future for others as well wanting to learn on their own as I haven’t found a source specifically noting why I need X tool over Y and what it’s intended use is for.

The buck can be made out of many things, I’ve seen metal, wood, and foam. As far as foam, from what I’ve learned, you want to use polyurethane foam because once you get to the painting process other foams such as polystyrene create gas gaps that obviously ruin your final outcome. But yes, it’s odd to have a full clay-only model.