Close

rkuchinsky

yo wrote:
mo-i wrote:Over here classic cars with a Californian registration are sold as inherently rust free. Hmm
So how does the pacific air in Los Angeles differ from the air further north? Sales myth?

mo-i

I'm not seeing any rust on the chassis or anything like that. Not even on trim. I've seen some vehicles that park outside with a little superficial corrosion on trim pieces but nothing that isn't easily corrected. Also, if you go 5 miles inland this is just not a problem. I'm 1 block from the ocean so I'm getting the worst of it.

Where I'm having issues is tools in the tool box. Steel chisels for example. No Bueno. I thought being in a tool chest which is in the garage would have some level of protection but clearly it doesn't. In my house, I have a vintage fan collection and a mid century chrome shelving unit and both are showing signs of corrosion.

Sorry, waaaay off topic here!

It's not rust, it's patina. There, problem solved :)

R
The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

Mr-914

I think you need to oil your tools.

I remember cars in junk yards in AZ with patina. When you can push the car with your feet out the bottom like Fred Flintstone, I think we can call it rusty. So many poor cars here in Montreal like that. *crying*
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Lmo

sorry for the delayed reply, I'm working out of town and having problems logging on.

Any tips Lew?

Who,me?!? I was the one that brought it up! Move to Phoenix, maybe? :roll:

But you all are right. It isn't the same as the deep penetration, water-borne, corrosives like road salt; more surface oriented. Even pressure washing doesn't seem to help, and in fact may exacerbate the problem by driving salt further into crevices.

Here in the Pismo Beach area the $0.25 car washes are required to use a percentage of water that is captured by their drain, filtered (for solids) and recycled. Considering that we have the only drive-on beach in the state, and most folks like to wash off their vehicles after exiting the beach, they aren't the best choice for washing off beach salt; or anything else that you cherish. But not many people are aware of the situation.

How's that for topic drift? :wink:
Lew Morris
"It's what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

New to the boards? Please read before you post ->Discussion Boards Posting Standards

rkuchinsky

e28 is out... e38 is in.

1998 BMW 740iL. Originally from California. Individual Package with Limonit Metallic paint, Nappa leather interior and Alacantra headliner. Can't wait to do some cruising.... If only I could drive from the rear seats. More legroom (and footrests!) than Business Class!

R

PS. Not my custom plate
Attachments
IMG_5018.JPG
IMG_5022.JPG
IMG_8085.JPG
IMG_8088.JPG
The Directive Collective

yo
Administration
Administration

nice! Congrats man. Enjoy it.

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization

How very Transporter of you - clean ride. Though I won't lie I think I liked the E28 better, but at least now you get a decades worth of new features. As with all old BMW's hopefully some of them still work. ;-)

rkuchinsky

Cyberdemon wrote:How very Transporter of you - clean ride. Though I won't lie I think I liked the E28 better, but at least now you get a decades worth of new features. As with all old BMW's hopefully some of them still work. ;-)

I did like the e28, but it had it's time. Was in good to excellent condition when I got it 6 years ago, but had a few things cosmetic and mechanical that were starting to go and not worth fixing. We fell out of love a bit over the years. I would love to get an e28 M5 one day (e28 needs to be stick I think to properly enjoy it).

e38 (fingers crossed) everything seems working (87k mi on it) and while I still have the W115 Benz for fun, girlfriend insisted on a car with AC, proper seatbelts and airbags. 98 seemed like a good compromise - new enough to be modern, but old enough to be unique.

Guy I got it from (who imported from Cali) is a BMW nut. Has a new M5, and previously had an e28 B7 Alpina, e34 Alpina, 850csi, e30 convertible among others...

R
The Directive Collective

yo
Administration
Administration

I didn't realize you had that e28 for 6 years. You guys had a good run together. :-)

rkuchinsky

Was actually closer to 7. Longest time I've had any car, in fact. Time flies. Not bad for a winter beater :)

R
The Directive Collective

Previous

Return to transportation