Close

Re: The Official Hubless Wheel hater thread.

Postby iab » May 14th, 2010, 3:04 pm

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

Oh crap!

A hubless bike wheel I actually like. I even like the dude in the video. He reminds me of Murray Hewitt.

http://yikebike.com/

Ross McCoy
step four
step four

NURB wrote:Any news on using plasma for door slides? That would be so much cooler than bearings...

While not as cool as plasma sliders... word has it they have developed the frictonless maglev door rail.

Ross McCoy
step four
step four

iab wrote:Oh crap!

A hubless bike wheel I actually like. I even like the dude in the video. He reminds me of Murray Hewitt.

That is pretty cool. I really liked the music in the video for what it's worth. At ~$4500 it's a tad pricey for my taste but overall it looks like a cool product.

Postby NURB » May 14th, 2010, 3:20 pm

NURB

iab wrote:Oh crap!

Oh, how incredibly random. I just got a box of lenticular print samples from a supplier in New Zealand, and this was one of them. Never took the time to look up what it actually is...
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Postby NURB » May 14th, 2010, 3:28 pm

NURB

Now that I've had a chance to look at that...

Come. ON!

Go through each of those "benefit" scenarios and ask yourself why you couldn't use a bicycle instead. And lose your wheelset? How about you lock it properly, and you won't have that problem.

Christ.
Chris Haar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Postby iab » May 14th, 2010, 4:17 pm

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

NURB wrote:Now that I've had a chance to look at that...

Come. ON!

Go through each of those "benefit" scenarios and ask yourself why you couldn't use a bicycle instead. And lose your wheelset? How about you lock it properly, and you won't have that problem.

Christ.

I can't see the scenrios at work, I am blocked. But, bikes are not allowed on the train to Chicago from the suburbs during rush hour. A Yike would be allowed on the train because of its small footprint. It would be great to use one to get from the train station to my house or my office. I also need 2 bikes, one on either end of the commute. And I have to chain one of the bikes overnight and it is more than likely to get vandalized and unrideable.

Postby NURB » May 14th, 2010, 8:02 pm

NURB

iab wrote:bikes are not allowed on the train to Chicago from the suburbs during rush hour.

That's BS. Of all things not to be allowed on...
I guess I'm jaded living in the #1 city for cycling in the US. (suck it Portland)
Chris Haar

sanjy009
full self-realization
full self-realization

http://yikebike.com/site/design

Folds beautifully, looks a little unstable to ride, range 10km, top speed 25km/hr, weight 10kg, all for the low low price of £2,995 or €3,495 or US$4659. Really?

The ad is nice but a little too much "late night tv":

Travisimo
full self-realization
full self-realization

that bike looks very " different for difference sake" .... I love how small it folds up, but you don't need to change the bike paradigm just to make a nice folding version

Brompton folding bikes are on the train every day and though a little goofy because of the small wheels, they fold up so fast and small that it's really impressive. I'd love to see a composite version that is a little sleeker.

I've looked into it, and there are folding bikes with full sized wheels too

Postby iab » May 17th, 2010, 9:06 am

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

NURB wrote:That's BS. Of all things not to be allowed on...
I guess I'm jaded living in the #1 city for cycling in the US. (suck it Portland)

The trains to Chicago are full with people, there is no space for bikes. If you make space, it will cost more time and money than any roi may provide. Even if you did provide the space, that doesn't change the car culture. You would only have a couple of mopes like me taking advantage. As for the $5K price, if my office was 4-5 miles from the train station, the $5K would be paid off in under 2 years of not taking a cab.

As for cycling cities, we are #10. Not too shabby.

Postby NURB » May 17th, 2010, 9:26 am

NURB

But the Brompton above is around $1k, so you'd save it even faster.

I certainly wasn't doubting that the trains were totally full with people. It's just a bummer that there's no space for bikes away from where people stand.
Chris Haar

Postby iab » May 17th, 2010, 9:52 am

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

The Yike isn't necessarily marketed to a cyclist. I see powered bikes and I have absolutely no interested in buying one. But there are plenty of people who don't want to pedal - they are lazy or they get sweaty easily or their clothing is inappropriate or any number of reasons they don't want a Brompton.

The biggest flaw I see with the Yike is convincing the market it is stable and maneuverable in traffic. Anything non-traditional needs a large education curve which is always expensive.

Postby NURB » May 17th, 2010, 10:04 am

NURB

Great point. I can't see someone like my Mom being at all comfortable riding one in an empty mall parking lot, let alone traffic. Which makes it an even tougher sell. It almost seems like their customer is on the fence about buying a motor scooter, but they don't know where to park it. So, that's a pretty small market...
Chris Haar

Postby lyfk » May 17th, 2010, 10:26 am

lyfk
step one
step one

This thread scares me, so I thought I would post my 'hubless' project before someone else found it:

(I should add that we had used the Yikebike as a case study for performance envelope)

This was a 4th year group project with a rehab patient. We justified the use of hubless wheels because we were designing for domestic use only, which allowed us to reduce the size of the wheels and integrate the mechanical components into a 'tub' located under the seat. The rest of the renders can be found at http://www.coroflot.com/public/individual_set.asp?individual_id=188826&set_id=401079&

Postby NURB » May 17th, 2010, 10:35 am

NURB

I'm not even going to touch it.
Chris Haar

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to transportation