Close

Re: The Official Hubless Wheel hater thread.

Postby Lmo » March 12th, 2010, 12:51 pm

Lmo

Hubless and mono-wheels, aren't exactly "new" ideas.... and seldom reach production status.

But then there's the story of 18 year old Ben Gulak's "Uno"...

Lew Morris
"It's what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

New to the boards? Please read before you post ->Discussion Boards Posting Standards

Postby slippyfish » March 12th, 2010, 12:59 pm

slippyfish
full self-realization
full self-realization

Those are great old images! Ahh, the smell of optimism. And rubber. And burning flesh.

Don't forget Johnny Knoxville standing in for the hub of the wheel, bouncing down a ski slope on Jackass.
“Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy."

http://www.superformer.com
http://www.coroflot.com/skhid

Postby Lmo » March 12th, 2010, 1:22 pm

Lmo

Those are great old images!

I like the aerodynamic wheel spats on the second one...

Being a horse-drawn vehicle fan I especially like this one; note the outriggers ... so I guess this is actually a tri-cycle.

There are a ton more, check out the link.
Lew Morris

New to the boards? Please read before you post ->Discussion Boards Posting Standards

simon_four_fingers
full self-realization
full self-realization

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2010/03 ... -does.html

Hmmmmm.......

That hubless bmx could have peg mounded to it, but they would be like the super old school fold downs and flat land bikes with their little pedestals all over them. Thus ruining the minimalist thing they had going.
summerdan wrote:At the famous designer's design, and see more of open the book thinking, read some books are always didn't harm
Come on I believe that you can

Postby iab » March 15th, 2010, 10:25 am

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

Bike Snob NYC wrote:So why is the hub the one thing all futuristic bicycle designers want to eliminate? Well, on one level, I suspect that this is because the traditional bicycle wheel is probably the most functionally elegant part of the functional and elegant machine known as the traditional bicycle. Naturally, then, if you're bent on destroying the functional elegance of that machine simply for cheap thrills you should hone in on its best part, in the same way the true subway pervert knows to go right for the crotch.

lol

Postby jct » March 15th, 2010, 1:22 pm

jct
step one
step one

Great thread! It seems like those hubless wheel designs pop up in waves...and there have been a lot of them in the last few months.

Remember the "Wear and Tear" Black Hole wheel that went into production in the early to mid 90's (http://bicycledesign.net/2006/08/hubless-wheels/) ? The idea wasn't practical then, and it still isn't.

Postby NURB » March 15th, 2010, 1:24 pm

NURB

jct wrote:Great thread! It seems like those hubless wheel designs pop up in waves...and there have been a lot of them in the last few months.

Remember the "Wear and Tear" Black Hole wheel that went into production in the early to mid 90's (http://bicycledesign.net/2006/08/hubless-wheels/) ? The idea wasn't practical then, and it still isn't.

Completely forgot about that ridiculous concept! Sure, it saves a pound... but so would changing half the components on that bike...
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Postby jct » March 16th, 2010, 7:30 am

jct
step one
step one

I realized after I posted that I linked to a picture of the prototype Black Hole wheel in my last comment. The actual production model can be seen at http://bicycledesign.net/2006/08/the-am ... nd-a-lime/

It is funny to see how much the opening shrunk in order to actually get this thing to work. I never got a chance to ride one of these, so I don't know how well it worked anyway, but the company certainly didn't last.

purplepeopledesign
step four
step four

Um... hi everyone, my name is Jensen and I'm a hubless wheel hater. I try to keep my feelings to myself, but it's so hard lately. Everywhere I go, I'm surrounded by people who just love hubless wheels, with no idea the kind of danger it poses. I know. I used to be one of them. I even rode after putting hubless wheels on my bicycle. I consider myself lucky not to have crashed and hurt someone. Anyway, I'm here and I've been hubless-free for 26 years now.

:)ensen.
Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it.

Postby Lmo » March 18th, 2010, 2:14 am

Lmo

Um... hi everyone, my name is Jensen and I'm a hubless wheel hater. I try to keep my feelings to myself, but it's so hard lately. Everywhere I go, I'm surrounded by people who just love hubless wheels, with no idea the kind of danger it poses. I know. I used to be one of them. I even rode after putting hubless wheels on my bicycle. I consider myself lucky not to have crashed and hurt someone. Anyway, I'm here and I've been hubless-free for 26 years now.

Lew Morris

Postby NURB » March 18th, 2010, 7:10 am

NURB

purplepeopledesign wrote:Um... hi everyone, my name is Jensen and I'm a hubless wheel hater. I try to keep my feelings to myself, but it's so hard lately. Everywhere I go, I'm surrounded by people who just love hubless wheels, with no idea the kind of danger it poses. I know. I used to be one of them. I even rode after putting hubless wheels on my bicycle. I consider myself lucky not to have crashed and hurt someone. Anyway, I'm here and I've been hubless-free for 26 years now.

:)ensen.

Welcome Jensen. Thank you for sharing your feelings.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Postby pier » March 18th, 2010, 11:03 am

pier
step four
step four

slippyfish wrote:...
Image...[/url]

who designed that saddle? Electronic polymers? To sit and sweat on?

Postby sanjy009 » March 18th, 2010, 8:04 pm

sanjy009
full self-realization
full self-realization

Awesome Hubless 02.jpg
Awesome Hubless 02.jpg (96.15 KiB) Viewed 4554 times

slippyfish
full self-realization
full self-realization

AWESOME (not) :lol:

You left out the Mr Fusion nuclear cold-fusion-powered bar mounted computer that tells you where all your friends are getting a drink.
“Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy."

http://www.superformer.com
http://www.coroflot.com/skhid

Postby jehan » March 19th, 2010, 1:49 am

jehan
step two
step two

thank you to everyone here for saying what needs to be said about this ridiculous concept!

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to transportation