VW Jetta 2018

The back looks a bit like a 3 year old Hyundai Sonata… also a bit like an Audi a4, but I get the Hyundai vibe.
Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 8.35.08 PM.jpg

Wow, I thought this was a Ford Taurus at first glance.

Really underwhelming for VW. I usually associate them with geometric and slightly cartoonish styling more than the typical streamlined and gestural look. That usually played to a nice contrast of high torque engines all available in manual transmission. It seems like the Jetta has had the soul sucked out of it over the years by making it closer and closer to the Passat which has pretty much always been the blendest car around.

The previous incarnation of the Jetta wasn’t too bad.

It feels like there’s just too much going on in the front. The creases on the hood are about as cool as pleated pants and the bold chrome line don’t do much for me… It just feels tacky, not VW. It seems like some of the styling cues were taken from the Atlas. What worked on a large SUV doesn’t really work on a small sedan.

It’s always surprising to me how much the Jetta and Golf share in common yet how the Golf has much more carachter (ok, slightly biased, I drive a Golf)

I’d be curious to know how the styling decisions were made on the Jetta. Did a lot of it come from the fact that it’s now a North America exclusive?

the mk4 was my favorite Jetta. So simple.

Agreed, I think the mk4 is my immediate mental image of a Jetta. They did a really good job keeping some of the early boxy aesthetics but dosing some more refined fluid lines in.

I think it’s a really interesting styling exercise to take a model that has been around for a long time and refreshing them to today’s taste “au goût du jour”. I’d be curious what’s the impact of keeping models around over multiple generations vs starting fresh with respect to recognition. It seems like different models have had a varying level of success at keeping models through multiple redesigns. Say the Honda Civic which has had roughly 2 major changes to the silhouette or the Porche 911 which got shunned for switching the headlights on the 1998 model. :laughing: Of course two very different cars bought for two very different reasons.

It’s meh, but I think their strategy is to get to be as mainstream as possible and move vehicles and that always winds up with something milquetoast as a result. (Which is how I feel about every Hyundai product that is nice enough for me not to think it’s a Hyundai, but bland enough for me to not have any burning desire to consider it besides a rental car).

The good news is they still have a GTI for the enthusiasts, so if anything this gives them some better segment coverage in the small car space.

When people ask me what family sedan to buy my go to recommendation is the Kia Stinger now :slight_smile:

Go 0-60 mph in a 4.7 seconds and 365 horsepower with rear wheel drive in an Asian family sedan!

If you were to close up the center of the grille between the two kidney-shapes on the Stinger, I suspect the average person would think it was a BMW.

IF I was to order another internal combustion engine car the Stinger would be a welcome choice. Our local dealer does KIA, Alfa, Citroen, so the first of the Stingers went right alongside the Giulias. Tough choice. I’d say the departure of Peter Schreyer was the second worst decision VW made during the last decade.

That aside the Jetta does not play in that price bracket. It is only half the cost of a Stinger. But oh my.

I’d like to see the target demographic for that new gen. Who is VW aiming at (in the US). I’d like to understand why they are killing everything the Jetta stood for (stylewise).

a pic says more than words, sometimes.

Or perhaps the Diesel “legacy cost” just puts them in a position GM was in, pre - bancruptcy.

mo-i

It is interesting because the Jetta (is it still the Bora un the EU?) used to just be a Golf with a trunk grafted on. Now it is a very different car. I wonder if this was the reason the Jetta wagon became the Golf wagon?

For contrast, these are a few shots of my wife’s Golf R. Couldn’t be more different.

L*ve the color !

(what Is that and how did it end up on a Golf ? )

Kristina always loved the old Fahrenheit edition GTI’s. We were able to find a 3M color that was really close and had it wrapped for her birthday! It went from Darth Vader to Garfield in a few days.

its-a-wrap.jpg

I would never expect anything other than orange from you, Michael :wink:

R

I like my current GTI but coming from the M235i it was a tough act to follow. Now that my wife has gone through a back surgery (can’t really stand the ride) and we have a baby (trunk barely fits the stroller) I’ll probably be looking at giant family haulers for the next one.

I secretly really like Minivans, but my wife can’t stand that fact.

Even the new Honda Insight is more interesting:

I worked with a Chinese car company a few years back and the President of that company was a retired VW exec. He shared the exact same sentiment…

We don’t get this one in the US. The Touran.
043430F6-6B98-41EA-9DA2-1D0CC02163C0.jpeg

VW can definitely revamp their brand as they are clearly looking for a new design DNA, starting with the Up! and their electric concept vans, I like that they are showing elements in their current production models, although it looks too much Audi mixed with an Asian car. Yet I think this will succeed as a lower budget executive sedan and reach a broad audience.

Strategically it could be interesting if they push their individual offerings vs having a more consistent brand language approach. IE Jetta goes super mainstream while the Golf, GTI, Golf R, Golf R Performance go hot hatch, and the Up goes super practical city car. Dominate or take meaningful share in each individual segment by making the right product for those users vs create a language and make it work in each segment.

1. I have a friend who is about 10 years younger than me and a CCS transportation grad. I was telling him how I thought the MkIV Jetta/Golf were some of the greatest car designs ever. He told me that I was crazy.

I think the younger generation will not understand how that MkIV was such a turning point in terms of material quality and visual quality.

1. The Jetta is a huge disappointment. However, in the current market, maybe there is something to it. The asian makers are going way over the top even at the entry level models. The Americans have some sporty looking designs. Maybe there is a gap for people that want the blandest car design of all time?

2. Stinger is pretty great. It’s been getting rave reviews for the way it drives too. I think the Hyundai group is really putting it all together now.

Not sure if anyone watches The Grand Tour but the review of the new VW Up GTI makes you think they still know some people long for those cars…at least outside of North America where we all just want Atlas’