What is it like to be a car designer?

I don’t know what young designer doesn’t dream to be a car designer…

Frankly, I don’t think car design is all it’s looked up to be. Trans designers are great sketchers, for sure, but good designers? If so, then why do most cars on the road (at all price points) look terrible and so unlike the concept sketches. I get there are engineers and sales people involved and factors beyond one designers scope, but that can also be said for any other field of ID…

…If shoe designers (see Sketch-Fu thread for recent comments) routinely drew the product they are designing so out of proportion from reality just to sell a sexy sketch they wouldn’t have a job…

All sizzle, no steak is what a former professor used to say (one that had worked in transportation design among other fields).

And ya, I’d rather be responsible for a great overall experience designing and developing a good product and the brand and the packaging for a great overall experience than have a great sketch of a cool design for a vent on a shitty car for a shitty brand to be made in crap production quality.

R