Nike NanoGlide Concept

oh and i hope y’all like the ankle strap,
that will be the only splash of colour on the shoe. :smiley:
and, the shoe is assymetric.

under the shroud, the laces pass through “eyelets” attached to the shroud,
so when you tighten the laces the shroud will take the shape of the foot.
also, the tongue will curve to the foot pattern.(when the laces are tied)
i suppose eyelets isn’ t the right word, i’ll try posting the pics .
i know there was a air jordan with magnetic fixing buttons thingies (dunno what else to call it) are there many other shoes like that?

lateral

medial

oh crap the shox columns look real mucky…

hmm yo is the ankle too high still?

hey yenomoris,

it’s really good that you keep trying but it’s really not a guessing game. try looking at your own or better someone else’s foot. look at the general shape of it, the dimensions, how wide the ankle is compared to the rest of the foot, also look at where the ankle bends…if i’m not wrong in athletics shoes you have to support that area but still leave it flexible.

your sketches look too triangular to me, the line that goes from the toes to the ankle is far too straight, it shouldn’t be a 45 degree angle straight line, there should be some resemblance to the actual shape of the foot.

personally i would stop re-doing the same sketch over and over again as i think your eyes are too use to it now, try something new and try using yo’s outline sketches for the proportions (from his site).

jelena, your right, the ankle needs to be supported and not restricted. that is why i kept the vince carter signature shoe in mind while designing this new version.
here is a pic with the previous carter shoe superposed. you can see that the highest point of the shoe as well as the overall length correlate quite well.
therefore, no undue restrictions imposed on the ankle.

i’m happy cos i did it without looking at the VC : )

you are also right bout the triangulated look of the shoe.
my idea was to eliminate excessive padding whereever not required.
so the toe box is smaller in my concept, and the tongue is thinner.

as i mentioned before, the shroud will be attached to the laces. when you tighten the laces
a)the tongue will take “curve” of the foot.
and
b) the shroud will tighten to fit each players unique foot.

the shox are visible on the medial side, i’ll post a render of the workings of the shroud+free+shox over the weekend. its quite an interesting concept.

i hope this answered your questions.
i also hope i dont sound too much like a mule.

as

i understand what you’re saying and your explanations are pretty clear but i don’t really agree with all of it. especially regarding the proportions.

also why draw a shoe that’s un-done?

"as i mentioned before, the shroud will be attached to the laces. when you tighten the laces
a)the tongue will take “curve” of the foot.
and
b) the shroud will tighten to fit each players unique foot. "

that’s like sketching a deflated football.

the tongue: is not curved in this picture because the laces as you can see are untied. most shoes have several eyeholes for the laces, so whether the the laces are tied or untied the tongue is in the shape it will always be. my concept has only one loop after the shroud for the laces, so when it is untied the whole area will be lax.

the shroud: with all the concern bout the proportions for the first nanoglide i drew, i decided to keep a foot as base. then again it was a bit confusing,

my dad is real short but fat, (5’6) and his feet are size 7. but real “thick”. so the height to length ratio was more than that of my foot which are size 11. (i’m skinny and 5’11)

so there are problems no? whose foot to look at?
decided to keep it adjustable. so when you tighten the laces, everything is attached to them, so everything gets tightened. further tightening by the straps. (1 and 2)

btw the deflated football was funny, i hadn thought of it that way.

i draw another a shoe with a foot in it and laces tightened for you?
i suppose that is an essential part of design process no…

thanks a lot for asking… and hope my reasoning is not too weak…
thanks
as

meet n:

inspired by apple’s ipod nano, the nike n aims at capturing the essence of the nano- performance, beauty, and good design. the n is evolved from the nanoglide concept, retaining its key technologies while developing the features better.
the nano’s personalisability inspired the interchangeable heel cushioning pods, and the customisable strap.
similar to the nano’s clear and coloured tubes, the n’s pods come in transparent (air capsule) and colours (zoom) keeping with the pop flavour of the nano.

the duality that stands out in the nano’s design - two colourways, and the semi organic / metallic contrasting materials on the device (front / back) - were highlighted throughout the n,
especially in the outsole that leaps up in a surge of power at the forefoot, wrapping around the foot in a double streak.

the heel pods are attached by magnetic snap buttons to the heel counter as well as to the outsole.

throughout the n, the focus (both form wise as well as function wise) has been on the forefoot- retaining the nanoglides philosophy of exerting greater pressure on the forefoot, ie, running instead of walking down the court.
that is why the forefoot retains the free+shox cushioning technology first featured on the nanoglide.

colourways:

the exclusivity of the nano is best captured in the n’s maroon and gold colourway.
the bubbly appeal of the nano brought about the ice grey / powder pink colourway for ladies, while the uber cool nano attitude reveals itself in the black / royal colourway.
the black / white colourway took cues from the bright screen that contrasts with the black nano’s brilliant black.

the idea is nice!

The presentation as well,but is truth that you need to adjust the shapes,maybe you need to adjust your eyes,try to draw a lot and after a while you can apreciate the differences between the first and the last draw.

hi, i have been updating the design from the original concept and trying to improve the proportions. not sure what exactly your post means, but i hope this will answer your question (?)

Hi

the post means that you need the computer for adjust the proportions,it´ll be more easy for you if you don´t do it.If you need to do a fast sketch for a customer it must be with the best proportions as possible.

do you know what i mean?

and not all the companies work with computer design,photoshop,illustrator,etc.

I was working for one of the biggest spanish companies and they don´t use the computer.

draws in paper and very realistic dimensions,do you know why?

because behind the paper you need to design a last and the sole with realistic proportions,you must give the “information” to the lastter and the sole modeler,after that the information runs to the pattern maker and all the process of fabrication for make you a model.

and is very greatful to recieve a feedback,because you can learn of the people.

billy, im really glad that your taking time to try and explain to me, but i must confess im ignorant of what im doing wrong here.
ive been working on my proportions, and i believe my shoe designs are getting more realistic.
i would appreciate it if you could give me feedback on some of my later footwear work,
the nike air Z and the puma speadmaster . thanks :slight_smile:

will post my latest project- for the sprandi design competition, when its done.

The Nike Air Z look sports shoes look great ! I’ve noticed you’re getting better at shoe design, your work becomes more realistic every time. Keep it up !

It was fun to read back through this thread. I wish more people would use the forum this way!