Close

Polk Signature Series

Postby yo » September 23rd, 2016, 11:06 am

yo
Administration
Administration

Here is a new one from my team and I. Lead designer was Jeremy Savage who also posts on these boards. The team also designed the website, shot and edited the launch video, shot all of the product photography, designed the print ads, and designed all of the event materials for the press launch. Really complete project.

http://signature.polkaudio.com

Attachments
unspecified-4.jpeg
unspecified-5.jpeg
unspecified.png
unspecified-1.jpeg
IMG_8380.jpg

Re: Polk Signature Series

Postby Mr-914 » September 23rd, 2016, 11:17 am

Mr-914

Really great work. I love the colors, I feel like I haven't seen that kind of brassy metal look on speakers before. The website flash video is cool too. It treats them like sculpture, as they should be.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby Mrog » September 23rd, 2016, 4:28 pm

Mrog
step three
step three

I really like that you guys did the video with the real thing... and not another keyshot rendering a la apple. Great job. Around the 00:40 marks you can clearly see the editing: the rectangle around the speaker and the not quite black background. Easy to miss unless you have a bright display, but if you do it's quite distracting.

Postby yo » September 23rd, 2016, 5:30 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

We basically shot it in a garage so it turned out well. I cranked up the brightness on a display and caught the same box, but I haven't seen it at normal brightness levels. Just for reference, what display are you using?

Postby yo » September 23rd, 2016, 5:31 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Mr-914 wrote:Really great work. I love the colors, I feel like I haven't seen that kind of brassy metal look on speakers before. The website flash video is cool too. It treats them like sculpture, as they should be.

Thanks Ray. We have been using that specific pantone metallic for a couple of years on our soundbars and we were excited to bring it over into the component home theater space.

Postby Mrog » September 23rd, 2016, 7:38 pm

Mrog
step three
step three

I am using a cheap acer IPS Display here, nothing fancy really. It is very noticable on that one and it's using the "out of the box"-brightness level. When I view it on my iPhone for example it is a lot less visible, but still possible to see if you know where to look.

Postby yo » September 26th, 2016, 7:32 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Thought you guys might like this video describing the design inspiration that the team was looking at when we worked on this line. Some great historical ads in it as well:

Postby Jboogie941 » September 26th, 2016, 9:16 pm

Jboogie941
step four
step four

Nice little video Michael, product looks sharp. I like the power port concept, how significant is the 3 Db gain vs models without the power port?

Postby yo » September 27th, 2016, 11:22 am

yo
Administration
Administration

It is noticeable in three ways:

1) the speaker plays a lot lower, so in many 2.0 applications you really don't need an external subwoofer unless you really want the extra thump.

2) the transition from mid to low is much smoother so the sound blends more seamlessly

3) sometimes other bass ports will make a whooshing sound when cranked up too loud. Instead of hearing the music you are hearing the air turbulence caused from the speaker being pushed. This eliminates that turbulence

It has the potential to add cost with additional molded and shaped parts so it has to be carefully designed to hit these price points.

Postby yo » December 19th, 2016, 3:03 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

In the studio with the original mood board and concept sketches.
Attachments
signature process.jpg

Postby slippyfish » December 21st, 2016, 1:01 pm

slippyfish
full self-realization
full self-realization

" The team also designed the website, shot and edited the launch video, shot all of the product photography, designed the print ads, and designed all of the event materials for the press launch."

So great that your group was able to take ownership of this. At SU is this typically the domain of a marketing or other internal/external marketing design resource, with this body of work being something you wanted to bring internally?

We have battles over website/product photography/layout issues weekly with our marketing dept as they have the need and requirements all figured out, but lack a strong art direction POV.
“Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy."

http://www.superformer.com
http://www.coroflot.com/skhid

Postby yo » December 21st, 2016, 1:32 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

I was able to realign all of those functions under me a couple of years ago. It is really starting to pay off now in my opinion. Right now I have two teams. 1) ID, which is what you would expect it to be. 2) Brand Design, which is every other design activity. On that team I have graphic designers, a photographer, a motion graphics designer, and a copy writer. So it becomes very efficient to have all of design aligned under one head and I report directly to the CEO.

Postby yo » January 5th, 2017, 1:07 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

We announced a new walnut finish today at CES. The front baffle is a matte graphite with the trim panel being a high gloss graphite that almost has a glass like feel. The drivers and tweeters stay the same titanium finish as the black. This new CMF really shows off the design language.
Attachments
unspecified-1.jpeg
unspecified-8.png
unspecified-9.png
unspecified-11.png
unspecified-12.png
unspecified-13.png
unspecified.jpeg
unspecified-3.png
unspecified-7.png
unspecified.png

Postby Cyberdemon » September 11th, 2017, 8:01 am

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization

yo wrote:We announced a new walnut finish today at CES. The front baffle is a matte graphite with the trim panel being a high gloss graphite that almost has a glass like feel. The drivers and tweeters stay the same titanium finish as the black. This new CMF really shows off the design language.

@Yo - Just picked up a set of the 5.1 Signatures for the new home theater...the ID sold these over the supposedly fantastic sounding but kind of chintzy looking Elac Debuts. I'll probably never turn them up loud enough to be worthwhile so they better look good. :D

Postby yo » September 11th, 2017, 8:30 am

yo
Administration
Administration

Nice! Congrats Mike! If you feel comfortable, I'd love to see a picture of the set up.

In my listening experience the Elacs do sound great, but they tend to need the proper amplification (i.e. An expensive AVR) to really drive them and bring them to life. The Polks are designed to sound really good with a more realistically typical AVR.... plus the ID :-)

Go to the Next Page

Return to projects