Close

Drunken Octopus Coffee

Postby engelhjs » August 19th, 2016, 11:39 am

engelhjs
step four
step four

I recently designed a concept coffee brand as a side project, stemming from an idea I've always had for a fun little cafe. Eventually, it came around to a small line of blended, iced coffee drinks. I created an icon, packaging, and voice to reflect the irreverent nature of the flavor combos. The concept was featured this morning on The Dieline's "Concepts We Wish Were Real" (http://www.thedieline.com/blog/2016/8/15/conceptswewishwerereal), so I thought I'd share it with you guys.

"y'all take coffee so seriously

Mixing water and ground up coffee beans is not a sacred ritual. People these days might as well be drinking all those fancy schmancy pour-overs with their pinkies in the air.

Have a little fun. Try something new. Break the rules. We have our hands (or...um...tentacles, I guess) in all the wrong places. Our brains are busy doing more important things. Lighten up, and enjoy one of our kooky coffee concoctions."
Jeff Engelhardt
Industrial Designer - Footwear & Softgoods
Giro Sport Design
Santa Cruz, CA
http://www.jeff-engelhardt.com

Re: Drunken Octopus Coffee

Postby Architorture » August 19th, 2016, 2:41 pm

Architorture
step three
step three

This post seems more like an advertisement than a request for design feedback.....

Gotta say the branding, logo and packaging all look like something I would buy for my 7-year-old. I don't know that I would think coffee at first glance, and I get that this is what you are going with by saying "y'all take coffee so seriously", but I am not sure it will translate to a product that coffee consumers will feel compelled to purchase.

All the design and branding aside, it will all come down to how well this coffee tastes. I have a general rule that everything tastes better with bacon, but I am not too sure about these flavor combinations.

Postby yo » August 19th, 2016, 3:33 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Fun stuff Jeff, thanks for posting it here. I get what Architecture is bluntly saying, the branding feels young... but I think if that is what you are going for, then I don't see the issue with it. Think of the other big coffee brands. Starbucks? What does a mermaid have to do with coffee? Blue Bottle? What does a blue bottle have to do with coffee? Stump town? Sure they are from Portland, but most people don't know the nickname that came from clear cutting over a hundred years ago.... Architotrure, seems you are being a bit overly literal no?

Regardless, the presentation of the idea is very nice. Well done visuals.

Postby yo » August 19th, 2016, 3:34 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Also, I dig those Ashworth Leucadia shoes on your site!

Postby engelhjs » August 19th, 2016, 3:51 pm

engelhjs
step four
step four

Thanks for the feedback, Yo and Architorture. It was definitely intended to be far to the young, and slightly odd, side. I tend to use side projects as vents for areas that, for whatever reason, I'm not getting enough of at the time. This time around, I just needed to create something to put a smile on my face. A kind of personal design therapy, I guess.
Jeff Engelhardt
Industrial Designer - Footwear & Softgoods
Giro Sport Design
Santa Cruz, CA
http://www.jeff-engelhardt.com

Postby KenoLeon » August 19th, 2016, 8:16 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Love it man ! , congratulations on getting a bit of internet fame, that's always nice. ( give yourself an imaginary trophy ?)

As for the product I think it could easily be done, not sure if there's a market, but if people go for bulletproof coffee and bacon chocolate who knows, they might go for a nice pecan pepper cold brew, it might also already exist.

I have something like your project in the works (different market though), and I am a little beyond the first prototypes and branding, but I am dragging my feet on validating ( building an online shop,some marketing and weighting interest). I am not telling you to drop everything and mortgage the house, but your idea's got bit of validation (which is super hard) , so you might want to push it a little further, the prototyping is a lot of fun !

Best,
love the tentacle.

-K
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Postby ralphzoontjens » August 20th, 2016, 8:17 pm

ralphzoontjens
step four
step four

I love the idea!
And I am completely in for these flavors.
I demand the coffee be served from a tentacle carousel.

I would change the word drunken to something like:
- occassional
- morning
- mad/bad
http://www.designsoul.nl
Designsoul - Product Design & Visualisation

Return to projects