Close

Re: Computer Case

Postby AndyMc » October 28th, 2016, 12:43 am

AndyMc
step four
step four

I'm really enjoying this project, and I like that green! I agree with the white looking clinical, have you tried the green with a softened black, like a charcoal shade? The renders look great!

Is there a way to make the cable solution suit the intended portability? Maybe a quick connector or mini dock style thing that fits nicely underneath? The way I'm seeing it the cables connect at 90° to the bottom of the case, which could make it hard to fit hands underneath to plug them in and pull them out with that orientation.

Postby louis leblanc » November 1st, 2016, 7:24 pm

louis leblanc
step three
step three

AndyMc wrote:I'm really enjoying this project, and I like that green! I agree with the white looking clinical, have you tried the green with a softened black, like a charcoal shade? The renders look great!

Is there a way to make the cable solution suit the intended portability? Maybe a quick connector or mini dock style thing that fits nicely underneath? The way I'm seeing it the cables connect at 90° to the bottom of the case, which could make it hard to fit hands underneath to plug them in and pull them out with that orientation.

Thanks Andy! I did try green on black, it did look ok but I preferred the white plastic bit. For the white, I think anodized may be better combination than white on white. There's really a lot of colour combinations that looked good. A built to order colour picker might even make sense.

I'm not a big fan of creating a proprietary cabling system. I see the cabling as an essential part of the function of the case. I'd need to have a physical prototype to judge how difficult cabling is. If it truly is an issue that needs to be solved with an accessory box, I might as well scrap the whole thing and go back to the drawing board. :shock:

The way I intend the cabling to work is similar to the Apple G4 cube, you tumble the case over with the pipe acting as a hinge. From there you can pop in your cables.

With that said, it does look like there are a lot of solutions poping up for people that want to plug in a single cable. For example, some new monitors are coming with a single USB type C connections for the display stream, USB data and even enough power for a laptop. The display can then be daisy chained and have a USB hub built in. With a setup like this, it would be possible to plug just a power cable and a single USB cable to get access to your whole set of monitors and peripherals. Not to mention it would be easy to swap between your desktop and laptop/tablet.

Postby AndyMc » November 11th, 2016, 4:58 am

AndyMc
step four
step four

Ah cool, I hadn't even thought of usb-c cables. I imagine new cable tech would help keep a project like this as clutter free as possible!

Postby SophieHortonJones » November 23rd, 2016, 9:16 pm

SophieHortonJones
step three
step three

I love reading this thread. I love the style, and seeing the whole thought and development process. Also... love the salmon pink (that's something I didn't think I'd ever say!).

Postby louis leblanc » November 29th, 2016, 9:04 pm

louis leblanc
step three
step three

SophieHortonJones wrote:I love reading this thread. I love the style, and seeing the whole thought and development process. Also... love the salmon pink (that's something I didn't think I'd ever say!).

Thanks for the kind words :) My biggest takeaway from this project has been to push beyond my preconceptions and dig a deeper to find a solution. Even though I didn't share it in the forum that much, I had an initial direction I was dead set on for the first few months. I guess I was as stubborn about that idea as I was stubborn to find a better solution that it took almost a year to wrap this up!

As I had mentioned earlier in the thread, I snatched the salmon pink from Nike's summer 2016 women's lineup. If you're a fan, have a look at this pairing with a deep blue.

I'm starting the layout for my portfolio this evening, hopefully I can share that as well in the coming days!

Postby petervanmierlo » November 30th, 2016, 2:59 pm

petervanmierlo

the SGI Tezro and O2 are also weird machines.. also way ahead of their time.. (Tezro 2003) O2 (1997)

Postby Cyberdemon » November 30th, 2016, 3:28 pm

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization

I had an O2, I would kill to still have that machine, the case looks awesome even by todays standards. Had an awesome modular chassis too where each component could slide in and out like a server blade.

Postby NURB » December 1st, 2016, 9:13 pm

NURB

I dreamed of having an O2! Takes me back...
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Postby yo » December 2nd, 2016, 12:02 am

yo
Administration
Administration

Yah, throwback Thursday! I wasn't familiar with that Tezro model. Did that go to production?

Postby rsuzuki » December 8th, 2016, 12:20 pm

rsuzuki
step two
step two

louis leblanc wrote:For the button, I'm considering a fairly large single round button. It doesn't seem like the reset button is used anymore on computers. A long press of the power button does the job. I'm also considering a sliding switch(think iOS setting sliding switch). Usually sliding switches are used as toggles, either set one way or another, to denote a setting selection. However, it could be an interesting gesture as a momentary switch. So you'd slide it over and by bringing it to the end of its throw and then it would spring back as you release it.[/img]

So I was catching up on this thread, and wanted to add a funny anecdotal reasoning on why I think that sliding switch would be awesome for a PC case. This is an issue that I didn't even think of until this happened: (not my pic)
Seriously, my cat walks over and turns off my PC often when it's running a render or when I'm VPNing! :evil:
- Rei Suzuki
from Tokyo, living in Denver
Coroflot » http://www.coroflot.com/rei_suzuki

Postby yo » December 8th, 2016, 5:20 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Cats are evil ;-)

Postby SophieHortonJones » December 8th, 2016, 9:17 pm

SophieHortonJones
step three
step three

louis leblanc wrote:
SophieHortonJones wrote:I love reading this thread. I love the style, and seeing the whole thought and development process. Also... love the salmon pink (that's something I didn't think I'd ever say!).

Thanks for the kind words :) My biggest takeaway from this project has been to push beyond my preconceptions and dig a deeper to find a solution. Even though I didn't share it in the forum that much, I had an initial direction I was dead set on for the first few months. I guess I was as stubborn about that idea as I was stubborn to find a better solution that it took almost a year to wrap this up!

As I had mentioned earlier in the thread, I snatched the salmon pink from Nike's summer 2016 women's lineup. If you're a fan, have a look at this pairing with a deep blue.

I'm starting the layout for my portfolio this evening, hopefully I can share that as well in the coming days!

Nice!!! I might need to get my hands on some of those!!

Looking forward to seeing the portfolio :)

Postby louis leblanc » February 5th, 2017, 12:41 pm

louis leblanc
step three
step three

Hey I'm back! I got around to distilling this project down to a portfolio format.

Overall, nothing too new here...

I though I was a bit clever in how I shot my backplate for the last in situ shot. It's probably nothing new but it saved me quite a bit of time. Hopefully someone else can find this useful. I setup my backplate with a box of a very similar size in the frame. This allowed me to compose the frame for an object of the correct size, it also made matching perspective much easier inside keyshot. Keeping note of your focal length and the distance from your camera to your object also helps there. Lastly, by having the box in the scene, it cast shadows onto the objects with the correct lighting so I didn't need to paint those in manually either!

Last edited by louis leblanc on May 31st, 2017, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby iab » February 6th, 2017, 8:47 am

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

louis leblanc wrote:I setup my backplate with a box of a very similar size in the frame.

You haven't mocked up your design to scale?

Previous

Return to projects