Computer Case

I was really hoping to have a clear idea of where I was heading by this time but it seems like I’m in the one step forwards, two step back phase.

So for the past month, I’ve been trying to refine a form and just this week I came to realize a critical flaw in the way I was approaching the use of the case.

I really want something that gets away from the feeling a panel tower PC case to a refined consumer product. The tower case usually is usually tall and deep and is set with the smallest face pointing towards the user. The cables will then be coming out of the furthest end and will be out of sight. The “face” of the device that gets the most attention is the narrowest one. While trying to get away from that aesthetic, I’ve been looking at the case from it’s side, as it has a more interesting ratio and also makes it break away from its expected form. I also neglected to think of the cable routing. Most of my design both have the prominent face be the widest one and would have cables sticking out their side. :laughing:

A cover for the IO panel would be possible to solve that issue and would tidy up the ugliest part of the device on top of protecting it during transport. I’ll need to look if there’s an elegant way to do, I’m mostly worried about the volume required to to so as most cables come straight out rather than at 90 deg. It needs to be a fun interaction with the device rather than a chore every time you want to plug something in - which should happen a lot on a case meant to be moved around.

Out of what I have so far, I think the top right is one of the few designs I have that would be workable. So I guess it’s back to the drawing board for now…

I want to look into replacing meshed metal pieces with really nice perforated fabric and snap buttons. Anyone know of a supplier for machined aluminium snap buttons? :unamused:

In other news, it looks like a few manufacturers have announced some cases that go in a similar direction.

Cryorig Taku. Meant to be a monitor stand.

Streacom DB4 passively cooled PC. Cables come out the bottom.

As always, I’d love to hear your thoughts.