Storage system for creative minds at work.

Hi all,

My name is Cameron Whitfield and I am in my 4th year studying industrial design at Massey University in Wellington, New Zealand.

For my major project I’m looking into designing some sort of storage system or product for creative people in a creative space.
I DO NOT WANT TO JUST DESIGN A BOX!!!

Some key focus areas I’m looking into are:

• A storage system designed for creative people in a creative setting. (i.e. studio space, freelance space etc)
• Understanding the idea of confined smart storage (being small but creating a big impact)
• Does a organised workspace / workstation effect the individual’s productivity and creativity?
• What do creative people need stored? How has it happened in the past, what are current solutions and how will it be stored in the future?
• The integration of security into a studio space, without being a dominant and obtrusive feature.
• How can a storage system be flexible enough to support and adapt to different working styles? What are the ways people work? I.e. a group, individual.

Two research methods I am investigating and would appreciate some feedback on are:

1. Draw/ sketch the ‘perfect’ storage system you as an individual, with the theme ‘Thinking Outside the Box.’

2. What do people actually carry with them/ on them and what personal things do they store within their working space, (i.e. toys, plants, sports gear) -How do you store these things? -How do you organise everything?
    -What do you as a creative person do to calm yourself down? -What do you as a creative person carry in you bag and what do you have in your pockets.

If you are interested or know of anyone that is, please feel free to comment, give feedback and participate in my research methods.

Cheers
Cameron Whitfield
(cam.whitfield@gmail.com)

I want to start with you hit one of my largest pet peeves - a student designing an object for yourself. That rarely, if ever, happens in the workforce. So as a piece in your portfolio, I, as a potential employer, will not consider it to have much value.

As for your research methods.

I don’t understand #1. Do you want me to make sketches? Pretty bold request for a respondent activity. Why would I do that for you? Isn’t that your job? Or are you going to present doodles for me to evaluate? Will these “doodles” be enough to communicate an objective?

For #2, you asked me 5 open-ended questions. Again, pretty bold request for a respondent activity. We are a lazy bunch. Requiring us to write stuff instead of checking a box will significantly lower your response rate.

Where is the “make some prototypes, get them into the field for evaluation” portion of your research methods?

Maybe there is a way to make it less studenty. For example, a storage system by Ikea or Target to be targeted toward high school and college students. Don’t make it for a creative person, make it for a teenager in general and then think about ways to customize (for the athlete, for the the creative, for the computer dude…)

If #1 is an in person co-design session with teenagers it could be interesting. It will yield some good photos for your presentation. It has to be very structured and know you will not got any final ideas out of it. It is more a way to ask questions and get raw input.

#2, you need to talk to students and get specific. Luckily you have your target group all around you. Create a survey and start asking questions. Specific questions that will give you data. Such as:

1. age
  2. major
  3. state/country of origin
  4. do you work sitting or standing?
  5. Do you work in your room, at the library, common space, in the quad, other (write in)?
  6. What are the three most important objects you must have to get your work done?
  7. Do you listen to music while you work?

Stiff like that.