Close

Re: Smartwatch Project Feedback

Postby jarman65 » January 3rd, 2015, 5:16 am

jarman65
step one
step one

I guess it was only a matter of time before something similar came out. I think there's still some notable differences between that and my concept. Here's a few renderings of where I'm at with the new CAD model. The screen is done for the most part, now I just need to finish the leather band!
Attachments
1_2_2015.1.png
1_2_2015.2.png
1_2_2015.3.png

Postby Sketchgrad » January 3rd, 2015, 12:31 pm

Sketchgrad
step three
step three

The point I was getting across was that you have a reference of a company introducing tech on the strap. This example is interesting as it is a traditional watch maker trying to marry the emergence of wearables with the tradition of a nicely crafted watch. It would be something you could bring up if an interviewer were to criticise the concept like you said a few had.

It's starting to get there I think though! Only thing I'd personally like to see is the chamfer of the glass be flush with the aluminium. Right now its raised and then the chamfer starts, it'd be interesting to see it recessed in to the body if that makes sense?

Postby yo » January 4th, 2015, 8:03 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

It happens all the time. You are working on something quite innovative and something very similar comes to market. It is tempting to get down on the idea, but instead look at the competitive example as a proof of concept. It works, someone else saw the same problem as you and uncovered the same insight. The advantage you now have is you can study what they did and see objectively wha they got wrong and take the idea further!

Also, I agree with the above, it would make sense to have the glass just a little recessed so the metal was like a set of rails protecting the glass from scratching a bit.

Postby jarman65 » January 6th, 2015, 1:58 am

jarman65
step one
step one

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback! I pulled the glass back so the chamfer starts at the flat surface now and I think it looks a bit cleaner. It sounds like you were talking about having the glass fully recessed below the metal? I intended for the sapphire glass to be the material that comes in contact with a desk, surface, etc, and it would actually protect the metal casing since it is much harder and nearly scratch proof.

Anyways, let me know what you think of the current models below. I think I'm nearly ready to start putting the final renderings together. I'm trying to have this project included in my portfolio that I'm sending out soon. Internship is only until the end of February so not much time left!
Attachments
Composite.jpg

Previous

Return to projects