Close

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Hi Core77:

I took a sabbatical year to work on a complex coding/user interface project I've wanted to do for a while and thought I would share it here.

I was frustrated with the way we store bookmarks, ( I have around 1,000 ), and getting to them when/where I needed them was never easy, also keeping them organized usually ended in having a series of nested folders and soon forgetting where I had left them. Having multiple sets across computers made things difficult to find and sync. Existing products/solutions also proved inadequate.

Common Stash ( a responsive website) is my answer to this and other problems I've encountered with dealing with bookmarks. You basically upload your bookmarks and a server in the back visits them and takes a snapshot of each, creating a grid like view of all your sites that is accessible from most smartphones,tablets and computers.

You can then organize and share them in what I hope strikes the right balance between giving you enough tools , but not so many you can get in trouble. (Deep nested folders are not allowed as well as nameless folders for instance).

But alas, my year and the budget are almost gone. For now I am looking into marketing and initial response while I go back to finding work, but even if it doesn't go anywhere, it has been a great experience.

Please check it out if you are drowning in bookmarks (I promise to keep it alive until the end of the year) or just curious about my take on User Interface, feedback is appreciated.

http://www.commonstash.com

Thanks
Keno

P.S. Here are some shots of the final product :

Bookmarks_Before_After.png
The status quo and my design solution.
Bookmarks_Before_After.png (122.09 KiB) Viewed 2489 times
Hi Core77:

Editing_Bookmark.png
Editing a Single Bookmark
Editing_Bookmark.png (26.72 KiB) Viewed 2489 times

sharing_sorting_search.png
Sharing,Sorting and Searching are a few things you can do.
sharing_sorting_search.png (47.83 KiB) Viewed 2489 times

Azrehan
step four
step four

Cool idea.

I think the graphics look a bit 1995 though.

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

I take that as a compliment : )

The issue is that when you add fancy stuff like gradients, shinny buttons etc and you have to render them 100's of times, performance goes down, so I opted to render everything with css, so there are about 10 tiny pr-rendered graphics. But will keep it in mind if there is next iteration.

Thanks !
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

JanD
step two
step two

Hi there,

i was quite sad when Zootool closed down because it was my go to tool for bookmarks. Did you use it? i think it had some great visual represenation of the bookmarks and useful features like search tags, seperation by medium (videos, pictures, pages)

A while ago a guy posted this also, which looks promising: http://www.my-harbor.com/

What stage are you in? The graphics are looking like a prototype stage but it seems to be online and working?
As my perfered tool, zootool, closed down a while ago, I was looking for an alternative. If I would have come across yours, I probably would have disregarded it because of the graphics right away. The smiley faces and bold fonts also donĀ“t help.

Just my 2cent. I really admire your dedication and enthsiasm! great thing to tackle a problem and make it this far!
cheers,
Jan

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Hi Jan:

Version 1 is live, give it a try if you have a chance.

I was purposely trying to avoid making a pinterest clone,or something you had to download to your phone or computer, but rather a little online file cabinet for your bookmarks,it might make more sense within that context...

Or not, I've spent 5 yrs (plus one of actual work) researching this particular problem, and I have tried a ton of now defunct alternatives, there is even an upcoming one from Google. My take is that most of them failed because (surprise) they didn't make money,there's also a critical back end issue that took 50% of my time (1,460 hrs), so there is a lot of compromises I had to make for the sake of performance/cost.

Thanks
Keno

yo
Administration
Administration

Really cool idea. I use the dashboard in safari for all my favorite daily visits but there just isn't enough space. Might be some visual inspiration for you though. Still very simple. Just more simple.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 11.35.28 PM.png

Robbie_roy
step four
step four

I save tons of bookmarks but rarely go back and reference them for exactly these reasons. This looks awesome and will give it a shot!

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Thanks you all, the last 48 hrs have been pretty interesting:

So I've been getting a few users and a lot of feedback, most of it centers on a few rookie mistakes that I've done, the startup group on reddit has been equally brutal and helpful pointing them out.

I've also gotten a funding offer ! which will allow me to do a re-design and tackle the issues I've found so far.( I will also be able to feed myself which is always nice : )

But the main thing is that I think I've found enough interest and the means to keep this project alive for a next iteration.

Thanks Again !
Keno.

sketchroll
step four
step four

The issue is that when you add fancy stuff like gradients, shinny buttons etc and you have to render them 100's of times, performance goes down, so I opted to render everything with css, so there are about 10 tiny pr-rendered graphics. But will keep it in mind if there is next iteration.

I think you can still make it look less 1995 without adding all the fancy stuff simply by using some nice fonts, not over designing elements, removing the pitch black drops shadows, removing repeating elements, adding the right amount of padding and margins.
My current setup: Core i7 4790 + 16gb ram + 250gb SSD + Windows 8.1 + Adobe Photoshop CC + Yiynova MSP19u

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Sketchroll:

Thanks, I am definitely going minimalist on the next round, Ironically this will probably improve performance : )

-K

"The risk I took was calculated but man am I bad at math"
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Return to projects